DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Low maintenance bushes and shrubs

Posted by Maryluckham01 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi Mary,  you don't descibe the size or aspect of your plot, but you say you do want low-maintenance. Following the sort of  mild winter we have just had, most things will grow quickly, so you will have to choose from your list, things like hydrangeas and paeonies which you can cut right back, and rhododendrons, which you can't.  The best advice I can give is to wander round the neighbourhood and see what other peeps (and the commune) plant, and decide what you actually  like.  For example photinia and ceanothus are omnipresent, especially in boundary borders, but are not everyone's cup of tea.  The lists from laM , moi, tdog, and ren are all good, and you could possibly  even make a feature of stones too by keeping some of them uncovered.  Enjoy your gardening!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Renard35 - 3 years ago

"Viper" plants love the soil here also known as pride of Tenerife or Echium. I grow them happily in my garden.

Also Acanthus I have that , also called Bears Breeches too.

Beared Iris.

The above all low maintainence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigerdog - 3 years ago

Rhododendrons and Azaleas grow well in most parts of Finistere.

A good nursery is the one by the canal at Port Carhaix.

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

I started my garden from a field of brambles, sting nettles, binder twine & very rough grass so long ago back in fevrier 1991 while at the same time renovating an un-inhabitable longere..now my trees which cost 100FF/£10 & those that I found while out on my walks as tiny little saplings that I planted..some are now 6 metres high, so too  the fir trees that were my indoor Xmas trees & planted after in janvier.

Make sure the manure is well rotted or it will burn immature plants.

Bonne chance et bon courage Mary ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maryluckham01 - 3 years ago

Thank you so much La Magdelaine and Moi.  This really is so helpful.  I'm copying/pasting and saving this information as I have just started to renovate the house and it will be some months before I get to the garden - quite a lot of builders' rubble in it at the moment!!  I did do a bit of digging and noticed that, even though it had been raining a lot quite recently, the soil was pretty dry - hence the question:)  The tip about the straw etc. is particularly useful.  Cheers.  Mary

Sorry no image available

PS to above...www.isi-jardin.com 

Sorry no image available

Christophe Beneteau of ISI-Jardin, 85340 OLONNE sur MER email isi.jardin@orange.fr tel: 0633526225

Good prices & excellent quality labelled plants/shrubs.

Happy cliente for 5 years or more now.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

WHy not post it here?

Sorry no image available

When you plant your shrubs dig the hole 3 times bigger in depth & direction & put lots of well rotted horse/pony/donkey manure in with generous quantities of straw mixed in that will hold the moisture...a cut off plastic (water)  bottle put in some 15cm from the neck & angled towards (gives you some idea of how much water you're giving each shrub) the roots to allow them to grow down searching for moiture rather than upwards which will leave them to rock in the wind...& lastly a stake in front of the shrub from the direction of the wind to support with tights which are cheap & easy to use to protect the stems until more mature & can cope unaided.

Do you have a good nursery near you??? if not,  send me your pm I will send you details of a nursery that I buy from here in France...very good prices for good quality stock.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

For colour throughout the Autumn/WInter:

Acer 'Fireglow' / Cotoneaster franchettii (small flowers for bees and red berries for birds in Winter) / Euonymus alatus-(greenleaves turning to cerise red/vivid crimson) / Berberis thunbergii 'Rose Glow’  (deep red/purple with berries in WInter)