DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Lycamobile

Posted by danot - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Orange in the UK do (or did) a very cheap tarif for calling abroad, I think it's called Camel. Maybe your son could call you instead? I got this once when I was in the UK and only had my mobile and needed to have regular very long conversations with clients in France. I think I topped up with £10 or so at the beginning of the week and talked for hours every day and it never ran out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by danot - 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses. We live in Brittany and regularly phone our son in London. He only has mobile and using Orange from our landline seems expensive. Is Lycamobile a viable alternative or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 4 years ago

Forgot to add that I have had the need to use customer service on a couple of occasions (stolen phone and damaged sim) cost 9p per call.   Very helpful asian help line. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 4 years ago

Have used Lyca for a few years now.  Fault less France Germany Austria Italy Spain Luxembourg Switzerland Belgium etc.

Credit lasts forever. No need for problem top ups. Open account online set it to add a fiver every time it gets below a fiver. Safe as you can say only do the top up every 1 week or 2 weeks or whatever period.

Sorry no image available
Posted by annainfrance-438794 - 4 years ago

We have them. They are still a pain to top up online, I didn't know you could do it at a tabac, so may give that a go. We have found they do not work abroad, so got Giffgaff for UK visits. We have UK regestered Giffgaffs and they are still cheaper when in France to text the UK. The lycamobile is only really better for texting and talking to other Lycamobile users in France, where it is free for a month after top-up, which is great.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fruitrouge2 - 4 years ago

I have been with Lycamobile for a few years now too, they are one of if not the cheapest for sending international sms on french PAYG and really cheap international calls,  and unlike many of the french PAYG they do not claw back any unused credit that you may have after your credit period has run out. I don't know if the other service providers still do this as I haven't used them in years. If you top up online or with a debit card depending on how much you top up you also get so many euros free credit as well. Never had any problems with them and as a previous poster said you can also buy top ups in many tabacs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jh-389161 - 4 years ago

Have used it for a few years now. Always been happy with the service and you can now top up in tabacs and other places. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

My OH uses Lycamobile and it works just fine.  Pay as you go basic, no monthly charge.  Couldn't care less if there are cheaper calls available elsewhere because it is hardly ever used, only kept for emergencies, etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

I tried them years ago when they were new. The website didn't work and the customer service people were hopeless and trying to top up your credit was a nightmare, you never knew whether it had worked or whether  it hadn't and whether anything had been debited to your card or not and you ended up screaming. I threw the sim away after about a week. But I imagine they must have got better or they wouldn't still be around.