DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

MDF Primer / Sealer

Posted by HarleyRider58 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 3 years ago

I have 5 by 1ltr tins of Rustins MDF primer/sealer if you are interested.

Ring me on   02 96 29 48 40

Terry

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone!  Very helpful advice....

Cheers!

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Normally the woodwork is pre primed and the painters roll the ceiling down to the floor in one hit because they are on a price,painters who are on day work and expected to do a proper job knot the knots prime the timber undercoat it give it a light Sand another coat of undercoat and then a coat of gloss,price work is for wimpys and a proper job is for council offices ,I once 2nd fixed some council offices where the painters applied twelve coats of varnish to the stair handrails and the clerk of works was going round with a spirit level making sure all the screws in the door hinges were upright,they didn't use MDF but wimpys did.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

"Professional" painters used to use emulsion paint as undercoat because they could put a gloss top coat on the same day!!

I bought a house where this was done and two years later the gloss paint just flaked off the emulsion!!

Emulsion is great for walls and ceilings but use the correct primer/undercoat if you don't want to repeat the job in the near future.

Be careful of what the "professionals" say!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

This would work, because as it's not water-based it doesn't raise the fibres of the MDF.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You can buy a special MDF primer in the UK ,I have not found it to be any better than a normal primer undercoat,main problem with MDF is fibres raising on cut edges,with skirting I usually prime and sand it before I fit it,its far easier to sand off the wall than on,the best primer I have found for MDF is the layland primer undercoat from screwfix,there is no equivalent over here,sous couche universal seems to be used for nearly everything and a very creamy good quality wood undercoat costs a fortune,MDF is something new over here in the world of mouldings and skirtings and is now starting to be stocked by quite a few places ,I'm looking forward to the day when you can buy a decent Scandinavian pine rather than the sappy two metre long stuff from south of Bordeaux.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

Wrong AQ...read my response about Castorama Emulsion paint better than anything I have bought here in 24 years....

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

A professional decorator I knew told me years ago that emulsion was as good for priming wood as any paint sold as primer - and at a fraction of the price. Not sure about its effectiveness on MDF. There are paints available in the UK marketed as cupboard paint, perhaps these are also available in France. If you give the emulsion a try, you probably won't need to water it down if it is French - most of their emulsions are like brushing with milk.

Sorry no image available
Posted by euros-391165 - 3 years ago

we used to use watered down emulsion as primer for mdf. pva works as well.