DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moles/Taupe

Posted by Tryval - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Oops - lay not llay

Sorry no image available

Described like that, they are quite remarkable creatures - just a pity about the molehills, hut then without the molehills, would we ever know they existed ?

Lies down is correct. It's an intransitive verb - no noun following, so something or someone lies down. Whereas llay is a transitive verb, often followed by down, but must be followed by a noun, eg I lay down my head or he is laying foundations.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

Now for some of my daft thoughts...

Moles are the most beautiful creature on this earth, in my view, that is .. what other creature is built for the life underground as a mole .. sharp teeth for biting worms, big "paddle" feet for digging .. a short stubby tail for a tunnel height gauge..  fur that lies down, which ever way the mole travels.. eyes under a skin that keeps them protected.. and one of the best swimmers there is.. yes the ideal body for underground..

I respect the mole .. shame that it mates with close relatives, and that can cause problems ..

As for windmills etc .. a mole has a daft way of "fixing" that .. it runs a tunnel around the problem that acts as a "buffer" .. a mole is very sensative .. yes .. but very clever as well ..

Yes I am daft over moles .. but sorry to say I have never "talked" to them ..

Rgds

Chris ..

Ps .. lies or lays .. a discussion that has been going on for years ..

Sorry no image available
Posted by stogang - 3 years ago

Hi,

I was told that the childrens toy windmills, the type you could get at the seaside and stick in the sand.works. Stick them in the ground and the moles do not like te vibration caused.

Cheap to buy so could be worth a go.

Paul

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

There we are!!! Blind O has the answer, hopefully mine have listened to sense and burrowed (buxxered) off for a while, I love them really you know:-))(

I tend to hide from my neighbours too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by convent girl-439588 - 3 years ago

I agree, I hate killing moles. We did for a time try the blowing up method, at least it was quick but this year the clever moles have even sussed that out! We have tried nearly everything to make them move away, a friend suggested pool chlorine tablets down the hole but to be honest we have given up the fight, moles rule! The only problem is that we have moved so many molehills in order to mow, the lawn is sinking!! I too love the Jasper Carrot tape, absolutely hysterical.

Sorry no image available

Good idea BlindOrange - if they are joining in on the discussion, perhaps your wineglass is of the rather large variety.

Given the success this has on your neighbours, I'm sure you could provide a very useful service to some of the readers of these discussions, where some neighbours might be more of a problem than moles.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BlindOrange - 3 years ago

I just sit in my back garden with a glass of wine and discuss things with the moles. Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't. I have noticed lately though, that all the neighbours hide when I go out into the garden so perhaps my method works better on people?

Sorry no image available

Hello Chris - interesting reading on this topic. I'm not surprised by what you say, as strychnine is so lethal. I once knew a MAFF Field Officer (in the 1980s) who was mixing a bit of strychnine with some worms to put down into the mole run, when a gust of wind blew a minute amount on to his lip. Despite removing it immediately, he suffered fits for a long time afterwards, though he was alright in the end.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hello,

As a semi-retired "Defra" licenced  pest control "person" .. I used strychnine a couple of times ..

This is before you could research it fully .. when I realised that strychnine goes on killing, even after it had killed the mole, I stopped using it instantly.

Strychnine can go on killing for at least another five times .. 

Hypothetically, say it kills a mole, a fox finds it .. exit the fox .. then a bird finds the fox .. exit the bird .. along comes a dog .. exit the dog.. as I say this is hypothetical .. but it can happen..

Hence one of the reasons for the ban ..

Myself I used Duffus traps ..still do ..  I also use none kill traps .. one of the reasons why .. well some people were bad payers .. apart from the fact, I do not like killing anything ..

Rgds

Chris