DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Night Storage Heaters

Posted by Yaddlethorpe Crossroads - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I agree geegee42 - whilst we cannot do without electricity to power all our appliances, using it for heating is too expensive and will continue to get worse. In France, where natural gas is rare, wood is by far the best choice - quite cheap and a sustainable source of heating. Of course, France went down the nuclear route for electricity generation many years ago and some 84% of  its electricity is produced this way, so is far less affected by the supplies / prices of imported fuels. This should also help to keep electricity prices stable. Although I have no problem with the appearance of wind turbines, they contribute very little to the grid in either France or the UK. They are more of a green statement than an efficient or reliable means of production.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Expect the electricity price to rise considerablly in the not too distant future,all the subsidies given to wind and solar have to be paid for by the consumer, the production cost of so called green energy is far more expensive than non green,best bet for future heating is wood pellets,burners are falling in price as are pellets,you can fit them anywhere ,twinwall chimneys don't need a chimney to run up you can bolt them to an outside wall.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I saw some brand new night storage heaters being installed in some sheltered accommodation in Dulverton, Somerset (no gas available) a couple of years ago. They had all the bells and whistles, programmable etc - the electrician said they cost well over £1000 each, but were so complicated to use that he had serious doubts the (elderly) occupants would be able to get the best out of them. They certainly looked like you needed  a degree in electronics to use them. No doubt there are much cheaper ones available, but the same problems will always arise - that you need to anticipate the weather the day before to make the right input settings the night before. 

Unless you use Tempo tariff in France, they will be fairly expensive to run as the heures creuses is not as "cheap" as the economy 7 night rate in the UK. With Tempo, of course, you have to avoid any kind of electric heating on red days/nights like the plague.

Woodburners cannot be beaten for overall comfort and running costs, but as said, they work best in more open plan layouts. As with any heating system, insulation is key. Doing the roof is usually easy enough, but walls can be difficult - though I have seen older houses being insulated on the outside and then re-clad (tax credits are available for this).

With a potential 3.5 to 4.0 co-efficient of performance, heat pumps (air to air, or air to water) might be viable as you get 3.5 to 4 kW of heat for each kW of electricity used - a bit pricey to buy though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

Interesting.  What was the kW and did you install it yourself as there are the refractory bricks, I suppose)? Did you require something other than a normal FR socket as the plug would have been UK?

Sorry no image available
Posted by c2oafc-383379 - 3 years ago

Bought ours from the UK shipping was expensive but the pallet was 250KG it was approx 160 pounds If I remember it was approx 680 pounds for 4 heaters incl delivery... the same in France was circa 4000 euro ... Plus side is it reduced my Electric bill by 350 Euros a year ... Not Red hot but as an ambient heat great!!

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

YTC - I looked into this 3 years ago but they were too expensive for my budget.  However, I would also be interested in any info you or others might come across.

I have gas central heating (12 rads), including hot water, + cooking hob but stone house (145 cu.m)and wall insulation naturally leaves a bit to be desired. Roof insulation is OK.

I wanted just 1 biggish heater under an open stairwell, knowing that heat rises but I am on the old TEMPO electricity night reduced rate of 22h to 6h plus a Zibro heater d'appoint for early morning and late evening between seasons.

Thanks in advance for any other comments or info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

We are looking at 'fluid heaters' - quelle choisir say they are cheaper to run and more efficient than just electric eco radiateurs.

we have at the moment electric radiateurs with programming etc and an eco setting but they do use lots of electricity even on eco setting and are not really efficient.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

I  agree with John P's comments.  Last year (as we are now feeeling the cold more), we decided to get something like a night storage heater for the kitchen - our wood burner doesn't heat that end of the house and we felt our conventional electric heater would be too expensive if on all the time.  We usually use a petrole heater when necessary but wanted the room warm when we came down in the morning.   Found they were not available in France but bought a new stone core electric heater that holds the heat longer - we set the thermostat at 17degrees continuously and were well pleased with the electricity bill.  They are easy to regulate and the temperature was easily changed if we needed it warmer.   I thoroughly recommend the new type heaters - work more like central heating - and they certainly use less electricity than the conventional ones. I believe too some can be programmed from a distance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

In my opinion "night storage heaters" are very inefficient as they store heat during the night for use next day so if it is a mild day the heat is not needed and most is wasted, on the other hand on a very cold day the heat can be all dissapated before they start to recharge. I don't think these kind of storage heaters are available here. Firstly check what off peak electricity deals are available in your area, they vary. In the UK off-peak electricity has a separate circuit, in France if you have off-peak, everything is run on a reduced rate during that period. Electric radiators are much more efficient these days and like most things you get what you pay for so the more expensive ones are generally the most efficient. Sadly there is no such thing as cheap heating these days and there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of fuel. For me I use a woodburner as my main source of heat during the winter backed up by an electronic petrole heater when needed and a couple of electric heaters in the bedrooms which are on timers and thermostats. To fully benefit from a woodburner you really need an open plan type layout downstairs. Electric heating is probably the cheapest to install and a lot more efficient than it used to be but there are a lot of factors to be considered as to which is best overall.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

This a very emotive & complex subject,some people look at the cost to the environment by not fitting sufficient insulation and causing larger fuel bills, others like my self try to calculate the capital out lay to use costly energy efficient heating be it solar panels/wind turbines or green heaters,I know when I did my maths it appeared that I was unlikely to recover the capital cost incurred in my life time,but there again a heavy user of energy it gas/electricity or another form of energy may well find it advantages to make the investment, I renovated a cottage to rent,and this subject became important,so after a great deal of talking and research,I decided to insulate as much as practical,make the property all electric using 150lt insulated cylinder (off peak) and electric convector heaters with thermostats, as far as I know the electric bill work out at approx 1.87euros a day ((average), but there again this I am sure can be double or even trebled depending on how warm you like your house,I think it is a matter of suck it and see.sabc15.