DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

No of electric sockets allowed

Posted by Jannieq - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by robhelliker - 3 years ago

if  the regs say 5 that means 5 singels. as the french system works on a spur system and the wattege to run 5 singel sockets =x amount of power hence the regs. as i understand it .but im sure some one will correct me .wish you luck with your new venture

Sorry no image available
Posted by jandave - 3 years ago

For Jannieq and anybody else who might be interested I can recommend two books when rewiring your property,   ELCTRICITY IN YOUR FRENCH HOUSE , THOMAS MALCOLM, published by EYROLLES.  a little bit old now published 2010 but still very relevant and contains really useful information all in English and it follows the Norme as it was then, the Normes would not be that much different now. The second book LE GUIDE DE ELECTRICITE, (Normes, conseils, astuces), priced at 3 euros, given out by LEGRAND and some of the better electrical suppliers, not sure where you can obtain a new copy, but have a good look around well worth having. (you could try looking on the Legrand site www.legrand.fr)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 3 years ago

My book shows the following;

single counts as single 

double counts as single

triple counts as two sockets

quadrupal counts as two sockets.

good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Indianjohn - 3 years ago

Thanks everybody for the replies to my query.  I will be wiring the house to the French regs, hence my question. I cannot understand why some of our fellow Brits continue to use English cable and wire ring mains over here knowing it is against the French regs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

We stayed at a gite a few years back and they had 3 pin sockets.I pointed out to the British owner that I did not think they were allowed.She got huffy and said yes they were her husband fitted them all when he rewired the house.That night the lights kept dimming but fortunately in bed we were able to see the stars through the roof.We left the next day and yes they had an UK reg car

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

In response to your original question, the answer to is a dual counted as one is yes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"The estate agent told us that if there were a fire the insurance company would not pay up.

I know of such a case not far from me.

(personally I can't believe anyone would think to do that anyway - ridiculous!)"

Many people do it.  Probably the same ones that retain their UK reg here for years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

Hello,, I did post this url in response to another question, The french bit does show graphically what is required and in response to your question i  believe the french also consider a dual socket as 1.

http://www.legrand.com/files/fck/File/pdf/Guide-International.pdf

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Yes, Freda Checks... we onced viewed a house in Normandy and the owners there did exactly the same. The estate agent told us that if there were a fire the insurance company would not pay up. (personally I can't believe anyone would think to do that anyway - ridiculous!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

Best check the regs, complete rewire is different to add on's or partial rewire regs.