DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Now T.V.

Posted by yolomcswag1223 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

I agree with Albert, lovely old houses with sat dishes everywhere .. in some towns and villages in the UK ariels and sat dishes are banned on houses ..

You can have a dish tucked away anywhere, as long as you have a clear line of sight to "the sat" .

As the old saying goes "try it and see" ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Albert.Bunfight - 3 years ago

Hi Yes I agree with previous posts, modern Dishes can be unobtrusive if sited correctly and setting up is easy and cheap, Unfortunately many people with older properies  do not have consideration for the character of the property and regularly extend and modernise them unsypathetically without consideration of what their property actually looks like from the rest of village

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Agree with that 100%. Once installed, it is completely free of charge, big range of channels and a reliable fine quality picture. Spend a little more for a recordable decoder and you have high quality recordings to watch whenever you want, so you need not miss programmes when they clash or when you are out. Dishes are fairly unobtrusive these days.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

If it's for regular use and needs to feel like normal TV then I'd bite the bullet and install FreeSat,

To get a normal TV experience using the internet you're going to end up spending more  over the course of a year or so, assuming that you have a decent internet connection speed

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 3 years ago

Surprised no-one has already said it - speak with Barty from Parabolica (they advertise on here). He is really knowledgable and helpful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Before you go down the road of NOW TV and a VPN to the UK you should test the speed you are getting into your router.  Go to speedtest.net and test the speed.  Do that over a period at various times of the day to test stability.  If you are getting 4Mb/s or more for download then you should be OK.

However you will need a good VPN.

Have you thought about putting a dish at ground level in a discrete part of the garden?

Sorry no image available

Hi,

It is surprising the amount of people who say they do not want a dish ..

Many reasons ..  myself I did not want one, or even an ariel of any kind on the roof or walls because it would spoil a 16C house ..

Instead I put one on a seperate outbuilding, and ran the cables underground ..

Easily done .. and easy to remove at a later date .. if need arises..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Installing a sat dish is cheap and straightforward, miy 60cm dish with LNB was around £25 in UK, I have over 80 ( never counted ) UK Tv channels, also radio, no subscription needed , use a SH sky box, or my preferred option, a Humax box which was £40 , Ebay again.

I use an HDMI cable, so have HD tv channels, never had a blocky picture in bad weather or any other problems at all in 2 years use . 

If any one else has a better or cheaaper option I would be pleased to hear about it .

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaykay-10041854 - 3 years ago

But they don't want to go down the road of installing a dish.

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Freesat ..  free English Tv .. via a decoder ..

Humax or Samsung have great recordable ones ..

You just need a twin or more Lnb .. head that fits to the dish ..

Then you all set to watch UK tv ..

Rgds

Chris