DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Nuisance Telephone Calls

Posted by AQ-417490 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

That is the approach we now adopt. Before that, we were dashing over to the 'phone to see the number displayed and answered only those numbers we recognised - but even that was a bit of a pain, so we now leave the message device to kick in if people really want to get in touch.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

You may have only given your number to a few companies but ALL companies these days seem to sell phone no lists!  Therefore you don't know who is going to end up with it.  If I get a call and don't recognise the number or it is unavailable then I just don't answer - if it's someone who actually wants to speak to us then they will leave a message!

Sorry no image available

I give my postal address only and I get e-mail updates on expected delivery. However, as is typical in France, many firms do not deliver to your house and you have to pick items up from a collection point.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

If you don't give out your number when ordering goods, how are they going to find you?

I have quite a few deliveries and the drivers always ring me to ascertain my location, once they have arrived in the village.

Having signed up to both Pacitel and the Liste Orange, sales calls have greatly reduced.

Sorry no image available

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have signed up with Pacitel, so we'll see if that works. As I said earlier, I think I have managed to avoid giving out our number to on-line sales companies (eg CDiscount, Mistergooddeal, eBay etc) and the calls seem mainly to be insurance and energy firms.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve51-907091 - 3 years ago

Keep a whistle next to the phone!

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

If you answaer it just confirms that the lne is in use - 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

It is not likely to cost them one centime.  They will be using an internet based system not an ordinary paid for landline.  It may cost them a little time but they will most likely be dialling some other poor soul while waiting for you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by skydiver-437154 - 3 years ago

THE TRICK that works is  answer the phone,  THEN ask them to hold a minute, lay the phone down , go make a coffee,  then come back.    once they find its costing THEM  money they will cease.  I KNOW mine stopped.   JOB DONE.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

Putting the phone number of the company asking for it sounds like the best idea.  Not sure that fitter's idea of the gendarmerie would go down too well with our gendarme friend - I think he gets enough to do dealing with real crime without having to take nuisance calls that we don't want!