DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

oak fence posts

Posted by Clojou - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clojou - 3 years ago

Guys, I just wanna buy a few fence posts! Anyway, perhaps internetchild just meant pleasant pheasants!

Have a good evening; can't wait until the postings tomorrow!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dik Caggles - 3 years ago

The "peasants" around your land were probably sabotaging your oak posts so they could have them for their winter fuel. Or else you don't know the difference between oak and chestnut itinerant child.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Of course I must be wrong Dik and my personal experience of replacing the oak ones must have been just a dream !!! maybe a lesser quality oak !!

I am just sharing my thoughts based on my own experiences involving fence posts as I thought that they may be of help. 

Anyhow before this turns into a non op related subject,lets leave him to find his posts,I hope that the op finds his posts locally at a good price.

Bonne nuit

Sorry no image available

Treated chestnut stakes vs treated oak stakes - oak will always last longer.  Sawn posts (as in the op) treated or untreated - again defintely oak. It has a tighter grain you see.

I have got a few hundred posts around my land and have always found that the chestnut does better. Within ten years I have had to replace quite a few oak,but all my chestnut posts are still solid.Also the local peasants and farmers are often asking to buy chestnut trees from my woodland off me to make posts with,so it would appear that they believe the same , hence my response !

Sorry no image available

http://www.pandagardensupplies.com/contact.php

Not that far from you at Callac I think - decent company to deal with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clojou - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your replies, but my question is where can I buy them locally?

Regards

Sorry no image available

oak will outlast chestnut  by many years treated or untreated.

In my humble opinion I would recommend that you get chestnut posts for greater durability. Also treat the bottom with some bitumen to help preserve them.

Good luck 

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

http://www.pandagardensupplies.com/contact.php

Not that far from you at Callac I think - decent company to deal with.