DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Oil heating replacement - help with getting quotes please

Posted by LAURAMB - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LAURAMB - 3 years ago

Thanks so much. Have emailed him and hope for a reply

L

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Is he replacing the boiler or putting a whole new system in?,all boilers are repairable,is it a combi boiler heating and hot water or just heating? Eight grand for a boiler is excessive it must be some super duper eco one,I would get a second opinion if it was mine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

The engineer who covers our area spoke no English at all but really good at gesticulations. We put together a list of instructions based on the pointing and head shaking and thumbs up!  The company is really good at answering by email, sending estimates and receipts by email. All in French but emails give time to to translate and then respond. I'd certainly try and get an opinion and estimate for necessary work from them. If nothing else you'll have a basis for comparison with the quote you have already received. He called past a month later when we thought the oil level guage was broken to explain how it worked - no charge and no, it wasn't broken. Yet another opportunity to rip us off if they had been that way inclined. They also seem to be very busy in our area - we're constantly seeing the van around the place.

Sorry no image available

Hi. Thanks for this. My French is still very bitty so do you know if they can respond in English?

Thanks.

LAURA

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Our system, original boiler etc from 1970's when house was built, hadn't been used for a number of years. A local company in Plougasnou but also in Guerlesquin, came out a day after I phoned to ask for a system service. I expected much head scratching and frowning and a bill in the thousands for a replacement boiler. Prepared for the worst, and knowing nothing at all about oil systems, I was delighted to be given a bill for 186 Euros and that included service, chimney sweeping and replacement little white thing that cost all of 12 Euros. On that basis I'd recommend them sarlmoy@orange.fr

Sorry no image available

hi. It has been serviced every year for the last 4 years and the tenant says the man who services it has had to come out twice in the last month, which he has never had to do before. He has apparently carried out an emergency repair but reckons it will not last. He is recommending replacement of it all with an Olio 1500 FM. looks good but we do not have that sum of money! And I need a second and third opinion.

Thanks for replying.

Sorry no image available
Posted by callac4ever - 3 years ago

Does it actually need replacing? Have you had it serviced this year, usually your plumber would advise of any problems when he services it. If it does need replacing get several quotes.€8000 does seem a lot but depends which system its for.