DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Overnight burn

Posted by No longer Online - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Firstly do not believe the stuff about chimneys  - running the fire overnight is not the reason for this - unseasoned wood and failing to run the fire hot enough has that effect.

As stated elsewhere get a good ashbed, load a little coal on and stack the void withl well seasoned timber - turn the airwash off and put it on the lowest heat. Have found this works well in a Stovax for the past 11yrs! We have our chimney swept 1 time per year. Like others also run the woodburner October to March - with a few intermittent down times.

Good luck - it is trial and error but well worth it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Buster,

The compressed logs that l use dont produce much ash and the ash it does produce falls through the grate, l have been emptying that, perhaps l should leave it.

Koat,

The grate does come out but its a faff as l would have to disconnect the mechanism that shake coal ash through the grate

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

I left the ash under the grate when burning compressed logs and it did build up. Embers were still hot the next morning. I haven't tried overnight burning.

Sorry no image available
Posted by koat - 3 years ago

the grate may be removable for when burning logs

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

I wouldnt have thought the compressed logs produce much ash!

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Thanks to all for the replies, l believe the problem may lie in the loss of the bed of ash when burning wood, l think a fine mesh over the grate is necessary. I have brought some compressed logs from the UK which seems to work really well and produce more heat however, ash loss is still a problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Point Vert and SuperU sell them as well.I only use the day time logs.

Picture here

http://www.eligo-chauffage.fr/bois-de-chauffage/5-buche-cylindre-nuit-bois-compacte

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Millise, I buy the compressed logs in Intermarche , made locally I think , The 2 types are clearly labelled , the buche nuit or something...my French is non-existant ,are a darker colour and in a shrink wrapped pack of 4 or 5 , the day burning logs are a lighter colour  - I  just burn normal dry logs in the day as cheaper .

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

You need good quality coal as the briquettes they sell here smell horrible - we've reverted to just burning wood - easy enough to relight if it does go out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

Ruidge,

As a matter of interest-which overnight logs to you use?

Thanks