Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Painting help

Posted by foureyes-10044529 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by foureyes-10044529 - 3 years ago

Thank you, Aramanta.  I'll give him a call.

Sorry no image available
Posted by foureyes-10044529 - 3 years ago

Thanks, Clarks.  All the filling has been done.  As I understand it, we have to sand, then undercoat with dilute emulsion, then paint.  I'm really hoping we don't have to get involved with filling again!

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Try Andrew Briggs. lovely bloke, good rates, all round handyman who also paints 00 33 6 26 51 09 51

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 3 years ago

Are you using jointing tape between adjoining plasterboards, then filling the gaps (over the tape)?

Don't use paper tape use a self-adhesive scrim, can't find the right product on a French site, so example here:


Do you know which compound to use to fill?


Use a wide bladed knife to fill and smooth,


let the joint dry, and do a second time, then buy a couple or 3 or 4 cheap sanders:


to sand the joints with a sooth to medium paper, connect a work vacuum to the suction unit on the sander to keep dust to a minimum. An industrial vacuum with power take-off is good for this, so it stops when the sander stops:


For outside corners use bande armee: http://www.bricodepot.fr/lorient/bande-armee-30-m/prod11933/

For intenal corners use the scrim tape. You may also find it easier to use a plastering trowel, as opposed to a jointing knife http://www.screwfix.com/p/ragni-plasterer-s-finishing-trowel/53410