DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

pay as you go

Posted by phlophf-409902 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin-381860 - 3 years ago

Hi, I've a factory unlocked iPhone 5s for sale, let me know if you need details.

kind regards, Martin

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rance-384571 - 3 years ago

They are probably busy, when we needed two mini cartes they took a while. sorry I can't remember how long but definitely over two weeks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

Update

I looked at the 2 main options .... both looked good but found lefrenchmobile  the easier of the 2 websites, so I ordered a sim from them. €30 for Europe...It came within 3 days which was good.

What is not so good is that I was sure my nokia was unlocked.....it isnt! (I didn't know anyone near with the larger size sim so couldnt test it beforehand).

So called Virgin...was easier to reinstate my old contract...which I did, and bought a cheap basic phone from Argos....£15....so now have 2 phones....nothing's straightforward is it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Piggy-390292 - 3 years ago

I have been using Lycamobile for about 3 years with absolutely no problem.  However, I ordered a nano sim 6 weeks ago and despite numerous phone calls and promises that it is on its way it has still not arrived!  I am tearing my hair out... customer service seems to have hit the skids as in the past sims arrived within 1 week with no chase up necessary.  Is anyone else having problems like this?

Rance you mentioned a delay in getting the card...how long did you wait please?

I do want to stay with them but I questioning my loyalty at the moment.  I have a new phone which I can't use without the new card.

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

Many thanks for your replies.  After reading the link it's probably easier just to buy a cheap, basic unlocked phone :0(

Sorry no image available

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/changing-provider/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocking/

Look like its probably locked if PAYG but not if it  was monthly

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

If you have the phone on your person - whether it's an iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry or something else - then the easiest thing to do to check whether your phone is unlocked is by trying different SIM cards in it. Either borrow one from a friend or family member but it's pretty easy to get a free one. If the alternative SIM card(s) work in your phone then it's unlocked.

Sorry no image available

virago - have just sent  that question to my son who works for telecom co...will let you know when i get a reply, unless someone else comes up with the answer first

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

Reading this topic brought to mind that I too have an old basic mobile phone lurking in some cupboard.  It was on a pay as you go with Virgin, who was the provider when I first bought the phone about 10 yrs ago.  Before I apply for a SIM card via Lycamobile, how can I tell whether the phone is 'locked' or 'unlocked'.  Many thanks, Joyce.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

I have been with Lyca for a fair while and have championed it on here but one warning, be patient as often it can take a fair while to get your sim card. We both have them as you get free calls to fellow Lycamobile users but only in France if it is a French Lyca sim card.