DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

PC or tablet best for Skype.

Posted by chink-401014 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

As stated earlier it is not always good on a tablet. Skype is great on the iPad poor on the lenovo tablet.

Not convinced a Kindle Fire from Amazon would be better than a modern laptop. In the end you pay your money and take your choice. Modern technology will be better than upgraded old on a like for like line speed. 

That said find Skype line quality can go off when there are global events like cricket or rugby where everyone is online chatting. Maybe recent tragic events in France had impacted the lines and channels so degrading the Skype service on all devices.

Sorry no image available
Posted by vwkompak - 3 years ago

The effectiveness of Skype depends very much on the speed of your connection rather than the device itself. If you find it breaks up then try turning off the video and just using the sound. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

We have an IPad (mini) and a laptop, facetime over Skype any day and as a previous poster has said Messanger is very useful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lqe29a - 3 years ago

If you upgrade to an i pad tablet Facetime is equaly as good as Skype plus if you are on Facebook you can use messenger, I find Skype annoying as it has a delay.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JB2014 - 3 years ago

Any ten year old laptop is not going to run skype very well. Sorry.

Tablets are ALL pretty horrid with skype as well. Even modern ones... Sorry again.

Buy a new laptop.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You could try more ram,but a tablet wouldn't necessarily be quicker and a lot of the inbuilt front cameras are pretty poor,a new laptop would speed it up a bit as would a new PC,by modern standards a ten year old laptop is slow,but if you take everything off that you don't use and just use it for basic stuff,I have a ten year old HP laptop, I re formatted the hard drive put win XP back on it ,kept other stuff to a minimum and its as fast as my daughter's new one .

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Would upgrading the memory of the PC help with the Skype issue? Cheaper than buying a new tablet.