DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pest Control for Hornets

Posted by Nevada-10041026 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

There is so much conflicting 'advice' here that that myself and the OP must be totally confused  by now . From my knowledge Hornets are dangerous , we all react differently to stings , 4 hornet stings years ago put me into hospital , but I am not seriously affected by wasp or bee stings .

I would want them eradicated as soon as practicable , any surviving nest will lead to future problems and a possible increase in hornets next year  - best avoided .

If you have been stung by a hornet and think it is the same as a wasp sting , you are one of the lucky ones ! The Internet does state that there is no more venom in a Hornet sting than a bee sting , but we can all react differently to the toxins .

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

Navada,

You must be petrified. 

Many posts over the years 'Hornets' The Marie has sent out circulars; Get rid of your Hornets. Our Commune have worked together on a massive eradication program. This year for the first time We have been able to pick our fruit without being attacked, dive bombed, threatened, hissed at.. That nest in your shed will get bigger and bigger. The Hornets will eradicate  bees and wasps and all that is beneficial to our fruit and flowers.

A professional would eradicate them immediately.. To approach them without wearing the full protection attire; would be dangerous; One spray from a can, they will charge at you.  Good Luck. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

The native hornet does not destroy bees nests. Only the Asian variety does. Hornets do eat mosquitos,wasps and many other non-desirables. They are docile creatures but will attack in numbers  if killed near a nest. The Mairie will only get involved if it is an Asian hornet. Asians tend to nest in trees rather than sheds and roof spaces

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Glad you solved the problem and btw, "COBRA" fly spray, from Super U, ( very cheap, useless for flys) but happily, knocks hornets down INSTANTLY, we are never without a can!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nevada-10041026 - 3 years ago

Thanks for all the replys, have sorted the problem ourselves with spray.

Whilst some say hornets are not a problem, they kill the honey bees and as honey bees are in decline I'm all for saving bees.

Thanks once again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

Dueller, yes, I did read that the hornets' nest is in the shed - but it woud have been there a while already, so perhaps it can simply be left for a few more weeks.

Stewart, if you reacted like that to a hornet sting you are obviously sensitive and would react in the same way to a wasp sting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stewart lyon - 3 years ago

i was stung 2 weeks ago  a hornet was resting under   a branch in our fir trees the sring is horrible and lasts  4/5 days a solid swelling the size of a half melon beware

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Check f they are Asian Hornets-one give away is bright yellw legs and feet if so get proper advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dueller-813343 - 3 years ago

If you read the OP's posting, the Hornets nest is in his shed. Hornets usually timid, will attack if you get within about 2 metres, this could make getting the lawnmower out of the shed a bit problematic.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

Why would you want to destroy them?

They will leave the nest in Autumn. They won't return to the same site.

They're no danger to you unless you attack them; even then their sting is no worse than that of a bee or wasp. (The only people who have a severe reaction are those who are allergic to wasp stings.)

Information about hornets and their life cycle:

http://www.vespa-crabro.com/hornets.htm