DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Phones, landline or Internet ?

Posted by John E - Created: 2 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 2 years ago

If you want internet with no separate phone line I think you have a choice of packages. Have a look at the Orange website and make sure they put you on the cheapest if that's what you want . Or you can pay more if you want a better package.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 2 years ago

If you are with Orange then by 2018 there will be no more landlines - reading the OF the other day.

They want everyone to have their internet/phone and tv package so all phones will go through a livebox. 

They will probably advise the telephone goes through a livebox and sell you their package. How people without internet will cope I have no idea - yes there are people who do not have a computer/internet neither do they want one but will have no choice if they stop with orange come 2018.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 2 years ago

Difficult to know what you mean by a 'screaching noise'. The dial tone is different via the Internet. It is the usual 'hum' type sound interspersed by a high and low tone every so often. If that is the sound you are getting then that is normal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 2 years ago

It all rather depends on individual circumstances.

I live alone and, therefore, prefer to have a completely separate (corded) landline, in case of power cuts etc., especially as I live in an area in which I am rarely able to get a signal for my mobile.

At a total cost of €43.99 per month (including calls, even to UK etc.) it is worth it to me for the peace of mind.

Sorry no image available
Posted by John E - 2 years ago

Thanks for your replies on this. If I have understood correctly, I can ask Orange to disconnect the landline and only pay for the Internet connection. This seems to be a good option for us as we are not here permanently.

As I said in my original post the initial dialling tone is accompanied by other low screeching noises is this normal when using the phone in this way? All other functions appear to be normal.

Thanks an regards

Johnee

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 2 years ago

The other possible advantage of keeping your phone line separate is that the phone will still work should you have a power cut (and you have a corded phone). We have chosen to take the chance of just having the Internet phone and rely on the mobile in the event of a power cut - one of which we had on Saturday.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 2 years ago

I think many if not most people now have adsl packages with VOIP and no separate phone line.

The only advantage of having a separate phone line is that you can still use your phone even if the internet goes down for some reason. And arguable you might get a better quality phone line. I don't have a separate phone line, just plugged into the box and calls are clear enough for me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ziggy Stardust - 2 years ago

The dialing tone sounds like an engaged tone here. Plug the phone back in normally and ignore the tone, just dial a number and see if it works. It confused me as well.