DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

planting parsnips

Posted by Enkay - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

After years of mixed results growing parsnips both here and in the UK, sometimes a brilliant crop and othertimes none worth digging up,  I already now have quite a lot of self sown seedlings which had come from January's left overs in the group which had been allowed to flower in the summer.  Not sure if they will come to anything but I'm going to give them a chance.  Clerly the freshness of the seeds and sowing at the right time of year is crucial to germination. 

Perhaps sow in September.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

It was in Intermarche at Rostrenen. More likely that they sell them due to the numbers of British customers, rather than French wanting them. It does not surprise me that many young people do not recognise some raw food products, with the ever increasing trend to buy processed food and ready prepared meals. In the UK a couple of years ago, a man in front of me at the checkout had some broad beans in their pods and the checkout operator had to ask what they were.

My wife and I like a wide range of vegetables and always have 3 or 4 different veg on the plate in addition to potatoes or rice. However, we notice, when eating out, or when invited by friends to dinner that veg are either very limited or non existent, with France being worse than the UK. A bit of salad garnish is a poor substitute for a selection of veg - especially with a roast or a stew or casserole, the latter two providing the opportunity to include onions, carrots, parsnips, swede, or turnips in the dish.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

kathy2

Our neighbours (French) "Parsnips are for pork" !!!! They do not eat them. Us Brits love them. 

The Super markets know this,  thats why they have been selling them for years. Five different Super markets in Ploermel, have lots of them for sale. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

That's weird AQ - the supermarkets have stocked them as long as we've been here, they're nothing 'new'...  and we sell lots of parsnip seeds to people all over France, presumably not for their animals! You must have found a little backwater where you live - obviously not enough Brits around! Lol :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Just as I would have thought, Rudge. Success owes much to experience, interlaced with a little trial and error, to test the occasional theory and explore some break with traditional methods.

It is interesting that the growing of parsnips in France attracts this sort of attention, but perhaps not surprising. Roast parsnips, in particular, are quite popular with the traditional British palate, but when we served them up for our French friends, they were somewhat surprised - believing them to be more usually reserved for animal feed (not roasted, of course). Their fears were very soon allayed upon tasting them, however - and I am sure that they are now converts.

Quite surprisingly in the supermarket, just a few days ago, when presenting a few parsnips for payment at the checkout, the youngish assistant had to ask us what they were - and they attracted interest from others in the queue behind us, suggesting that they are rather less well known than we might have thought.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerivon - 3 years ago

I have used the planting by the moon method for years and like to think I have good results most of the time, and no it doesn't mean creeping around the garden in the dead of night! I use Nick Kollerstroms book ' Gardening and planting by the Moon' available on Amazon. It give lots of scientific facts and results of various research studies done on the moon and crop yields. When I had an allotment  in the UK I often found I had better yields, and stronger healthier plants than some of my neighbours. It makes gardening more interesting and using a calendar which indicates when particular days are the optimum time for various tasks helps to structure and plan my jobs So I don't feel overwhelmed by thinking everything needs doing at once.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Its all a load of hype, just look at the months , ongoing weather forecast and temperatures and local wisdom . I have been gardening for 50 years , tried to extend the boundaries of planting seasons ,it rarely works . Crop protection , fleece, polytunnels etc far more effective than any lunar cycle . 

proper garden growing planning, ground and soil preparation , protection form weather extremes when needed has given me the best vegetable garden return ever , this year. Experience over the years of varieties that grow best here helps , I keep a yearly log to avoid repeating mistakes . 

And I am Devoniian, forget the full moon crap , have an extra pint of local cider and go to bed as usual . The garden will still be growing as normal the next day ,

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Amazing ,its like the old scientist saying there's no such thing as ghosts ,so we will spend a fortune trying to prove it,but they shouldn't really spend anything as what is there to prove?,dark matter is the one I like ,we can't see it ,touch it smell it ,measure it but we assume it's there,same as ghosts but with ghosts we assume they are not there.If you read the history of the french revolution you find that French farmers were regarded as the most inefficient in Europe and the British at the time regarded it as the root cause of the revolution, I wonder if they used the same moon watching planting method then.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sussex Gay - 3 years ago

I am sure if you search hard enough you will find that some or alot of governments have spent millions of tax payers money on this and could not come up with a conclusion.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Enkay - 3 years ago

Well, we could try a mass  experiment on AI or, check this out as a scientific explanation...http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/4643/does-planting-during-different-lunar-phases-affect-growth