DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

plumbing question abou showers

Posted by phlophf-409902 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 4 years ago

Update.........am updating this thread as this might be useful to anyone thinking of fitting a shower with a thermostat.

Well we picked up a few tiles last week, and today the original builder came back  to dismantle a small section of shower wall.

Discovered, as we thought,  the pipes were in fact...the wrong way round! This was causing the problem

He has swappped them round (and retiled the wall) refitted the unit, and now the shower is working fine.

thanks all for your input ...result!

Sorry no image available

Thanks all - bullet is being bitten - hot flush definately unwanted; so am off to Rennes at the weekend to see if I can get/match the same tiles!

Sorry no image available
Posted by 4seven - 4 years ago

Time to bite the bullet, deconstruct the installation, start again. You can't have scalding water from a shower valve.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dueller-813343 - 4 years ago

4 seven

The Original Poster has explained that it's not that simple to just "check the feeds". The shower is a permanent one and the feeds are embedded in a stone wall that has been finished and tiled. 

The current suggestions being swopping the feeds (if possible) before the pipes go into the wall, possibly in another room.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 4seven - 4 years ago

Just check the feeds. Hot on the Left, Cold on the Right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 4 years ago

No, I was explaining how it works.

I (obviously) have no idea whether your cold and hot feeds are switched but, if they are, then I would expect the symptoms that you are seeing.

And, yes, you would have to switch the pipes before the feed off to the toilet - you wouldn't want a hot flush :)

Sorry no image available

terry  i am confuse now - are you suggesting that this is not the problem at all - if so any ideas what is.

I don't think we can change the pipes over somewhere else as the cold continues to the toilet and that would then fill up with hot

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 4 years ago

If the hot and cold were reversed, it would give you exactly the symptoms you are experiencing.

The thermostat just does what you would do - if the water is hotter than the setting, it turns up the cold and turns down the hot until the water is the right temperature. If the hot & cold supplies are reversed, it will in fact be turning up the hot and turning down the cold which will make the situation worse! It will then try harder, making the water even hotter, and so on until it reaches full hot. The opposite will occur if the water is colder than the setting and you will end up with full cold. 

Remember, you don't necessarily have to switch the pipes directly at the shower - you can switch them anywhere between the shower and where they tap into the supply. Use a couple of flexibles to make an 'X'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sme50 - 4 years ago

Thermostaic valves are generally adjustable to mix water temperature, normally an allen key

fits in spindle to adjust. When installed by qualified plumber they generally set the temperature as part of commissioning using digital thermometer.

Sorry no image available

yes i could, but he has been really ill and i don't want to bother him at this stage.