DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Portable WIFI with SFR ?

Posted by rhys1 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

we use a nomad from bouytel.

We have a caravan in the vendee and get excellent coverage and when our orange livebox went down for 2 weeks we used it at home.

It is in fact quicker than our home wifi.

of course you do need a good signal to use it

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

Well like I said, we tried everything and could  not get it to work.  Obviously SIM is OK as it works in phone but MIFI just didn't want to know.  Took me hours on the phone to get out of the contract which, although at only £10 per month for 10gb/month was good but didn't want to pay this for 18 months with no service.  Wish they would make tablets with a dongle slot!

Sorry no image available
Posted by rhys1 - 3 years ago

Sorry when I said 'Orange' I was in fact confusing with THREE. 

It's a THREE  mini wifi box I have and I have found it to work ok in the S of France and other locations, just not in the house I am in at present ( outside Gourin). 

I used it a lot last year and it is quite an economical system if all you do is email and websurf  ( I suspect watching TV wd soon use up the credit. )

I am interested that you say that THREE have links with SFR. 

I get good SFR signal on my mobile 'phone  in the house, so I am puzzled that  the WIFI thing does not pick up  the same signal.  I have tried moving all around the house, upstairs and down and just no bars at all. 

If I could get it to work I might not need phone / internet via a landline at all, as am happy to watch tv  the old fashioned way thru an aeriel. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

I have a Huawei e5220 MiFi unit from Three and it works wherever in France I've tried although I have had to move it around a bit to get a good signal as it seems to go from 'no signal' to 5 bars by moving it a couple of feet.

Sorry no image available

Forgot to say, in case someone accuses me of going off the subject - Three have arrangements with all the major networks here, ie SFR, Bougyes, Orange etc

Sorry no image available

I recently acquired a mifi unit from Three which I wanted to use when off in the camper. However, although it says the signal is good in France I could get no coverage and have had to cancel the contract.  One of the things they asked me to do was to remove the sim and put into a mobile phone - When in the phone it picks up a signal but not in the mobile router.

We know the signal is not good here so took it with us in the car to where we know the signal is good but it still wouldn't work.  Sounds like you might have the same problem.

If anybody does have a Three MIFI unit and can get it to work successfully here I would be interested to know!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - 3 years ago

Just realised you might be comparing a wifi dongle with a mobile phone. Comes down your devices ariel, seems like your phone's is better.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - 3 years ago

Are you comparing a mobile wifi dongle reception with a landline? The SFR neufbox is located in your home and generates a strong local signal providing wifi access over the telephone line. Your mobile dongle relies on a phone mast somewhere which is obviously not providing a sufficiently strong signal to access the internet.