DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Purple Emperor butterflies

Posted by MrsOverallagain - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Perhaps that's why I haven't seen any this year if they descend for moisture - it is so so dry here this year - they must be somewhere else or nearer rivers and streams.  The rain that has been forecast has not materialised yet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helenm-403612 - 3 years ago

I found one in a bad way on Friday morning, took a pic, fantastic creature. We are near Merleac in 22

Sorry no image available
Posted by kelebekji - 3 years ago

There are 2 species of Purple Emperor here in Brittany.

The Purple Emperor (Apatura iris) and the Lesser Purple Emperor (Apatura ilia)

There are also two colour forms of Apatura ilia. Form f. ilia which is purple and white like a A iris and form f. clytie in which the white is replaced by a bright orange.

I've been studiyng this familiy of butterflies for 30 years and I can say that this year is a good year for both species in Brittany. The mild winter and the hot dry conditions of the past few weeks means they have done very well and are visible, decending to the ground for moisture between 11am and 3pm.

The spend most of their time in the canopy. Eggs are layed in Willows ( A Iris) and Poplars ( A ilia)

It seems i can't post photos here but if anyone is interested,  send me an email.

I'm also interested in any location info to add to the Bretagne Vivante atlas of butterflies.

Regards

Chris Rickards

Sorry no image available
Posted by kanisha-383405 - 3 years ago

purple emporer spotted here today :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

I was just thinking there don't seem as many large butterflies this year - lots of the small ones, but the purple emperors, red admirals, & peacocks are missing from around here  - I'm also in 22  Perhaps will be out soon (I hope) as they make walks so much more pleasant.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

In the past week we have seen more than we usually see, lots of different colours but as I am no expert I don't know what type they are, just lovely to see so many of them.  We are in Dept 22.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

The butterflies seem to have come to Normandy this year. I went for a walk at the weekend and going down the green lanes there were literally clouds of them. For several hundred metres at a stretch we were walking through butterflies. Don't think I've ever seen so many.