DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

rhubarb

Posted by piechipsandpeas - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerivon - 3 years ago

Don't pick after July, the stalks get a bit tough and stringy then. When you remove the leaves from the stalk always leave the leaves around the plant to rot down, don't put them in the compost heap. Give the plant a good mulch of well rotted manure over the winter then cover with a large pot or bucket in the spring to force some early tender oink stems. Never had any problem with rhubarb using these tips from an old guy who had had the same plants since the war! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by andylekker - 3 years ago

you arent supposed to pick in the first year to allow the plant to establish, a good rhubarb plant can be productive for many years so it is worth letting it get off to a good start.

also the poinsonous oxalic acid starts to accumulate in the stalks as the season passes, early in the season it is mostly only present in the leaves. most people dont pick it after june/july

A.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

We bought a small crown and planted it in a very large pot for the first year or so.  Then planted it on the edge of our veggie plot and it just went downhill fast.  Never had a single stalk off it.  Will be ignoring it next week when I rotivate the whole area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

I moved 3 crowns of rhubarb this year, to a position with some shade , they just grew and grew, so pulled a lot of stalks to eat, so many I gave some away as well. Despite what the traditional gardening books say, if they are growing strongly, look healthy I would  use a few stalks from them . I generally leave them to look after themselves in Winter, apart froma a mulch of grass cuttings 

Sorry no image available
Posted by brionybob - 3 years ago

Rhubarb is very tough, at least have 1 meal off it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by piechipsandpeas - 3 years ago

Cheers - that what I planned to do ( just seems a shame , stalks look ' healthy / tasty ' )

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Leave them to die back then pull off any that are starting to rot to prevent the rot getting into the crown;