DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rotavator Recommendations

Posted by HarleyRider58 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

WOW!!   Thanks everyone!   Great information....

Cheers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Yes, that was correct, a friend of mine purchased one, boasted about it the next day to me  as only a few lefts at the time . He drove me to BricoDepot the next morning to to collect it , I did not expect much from it  but it has been marvelous . 200cm 6.5 hp engine , always starts with one pull , I have changed the oil everyyear, rotovated other friends plots as well, have used  a merrytiller before, but that is a toy in comparison, I have no idea whether they still do them , albeit at a higher price, or whether it was just end of line clearance, it was obviously built to satisfy some export demands as even the paint finish is remarkable after 3 seaons of use/abuse . 

I have used Chinese tools etc for many years ( nearly all UK Clarke products are Chinese), they are built to different qualities as demanded by the importer , some can be poor  but the value of the good ones offsets the very occasional failure ( I was a Honda Trained and Qualified Technician for many years , if I was a rich man I would still buy all Honda products , but life dictates otherwise )

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - 3 years ago

Rudge, is that price right....99 Euros for a 6.5 hp rotavator?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

The Honda FG315 is a very competent rotovator, with usual Honda reliability and 3 year guarantee I think, but around £600 or so new . 

I was planning to buy one, but having many years of mechanical repair knowledge behind me I ended up with a Chinese 6.5Hp one from BricoDepot at 99€ - 3 years ago ! Given it a lot of use, only fault has been a broken cable in 3 years , easily fixed . If you are practical, just shop around the Brico stores etc for offers, probably limited after sales, IF you are not mechanical Honda series are probably the best. 

Many 'own branded ' ones tend to be Chinese, I would go for a 6.5HP in these with your ground area  in mind .

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

In my humble opinion the mantis type tillers are not man enough to cope with the sort of size you propose. There are basically two types of rotorvator, the ones where the engine sits over the tynes and the motion of the tynes draggs the machine along held back by a spike which you vary the pressure on using the handlebars. The second machine has drive wheels with the rotorvator behind and you adjust the speed according to the soil type/depth using a gearbox. these machines are expensive (around 1500-2000€ new) but can be found on leboncoin second-hand and would be far more suitable for what you propose especially if you are starting from scratch with previously unturned soil.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian61 - 3 years ago

My smallish veg patch started life as heavy clay soil, 20 years later it is much improved. At the start I also was tempted by the Mantis and it's attachments, I liked the idea of 1 engine and lots of different tools, but it was going to work out very expensive. I settled for a Bricomarché Best Green rotovator with a B&S 4 stroke engine and I am happy that I did. Working clay soil means that you have to wait until the ground conditions are just right before you can work it and the heavy Best Green limits the amount of jumping in the air that it will do if it hits a stone. I don't see how a lighter model would penetrate the ground.

The model I have is a very old version of this model. I change the oil every year, tap out the paper air filter, clean and adjust the spark plug (still using original) and with fresh petrol it starts 2nd or 3rd pull. It doesn't have a gearbox to go wrong just a simple drive belt which I have replaced once.

If I had the same size of garden as you I would definitely consider one of the large beasts like my neighbour has, it sorts out his huge veg plot very quickly.

Hope that this helps.

Sorry no image available

Cheers!  Thank you for the info....  at those prices in the bricos, I might stick with the Mantis

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - 3 years ago

I use a bog standard 90cm wide (6 sets of tines) wide. It can be used with 2, 4 or 6 sets of tines.it has a 4 stroke briggs and stratton engine. It rotavates comfortably to a depth of around 15 to 20 cms depending in soil type etc.,You can see these in most bricos and hypermarkets,  I think current prices are around 400/500 euros though they can occassionally be fohbd second hand on AI.

Check the classifieds.

Sorry no image available

Sorry, it clearly states "We have 6x potager's; strong>each measuring 6.5m square"  6x separate squares, each measuring 6.5m X 6.5m.   So total would be 6.5 x 6.5 x 6....  42.25m sq x 6 = 253.5 sq m

Hope that helps clarify.... ??

Cheers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

Not sure if you mean 6 areas of 6.5 square metres or 6 areas of 6.5 m x 6.5 m, ie 42.5 sq metres each.

makes a big difference to the kind of machine you need..