DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

runner beans

Posted by suky-98776 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Might be the type of soil you have or too much nitrogen, too much nitrogen produces a lot of green stuff but not always a bigger crop.The beans originally came from south America brought back by the Spanish so I wouldn't have thought heat or sunlight would have been the problem.this year I started one lot in the ground and at the same time another lot in pots,the in pots ones are doing a lot better so next year will all be started in pots.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suky-98776 - 3 years ago

They're in partial shade some of the time but still aren't doing much.  Patience I think is the order of the day.  Will water every other day as it's so hot.  Have a friend arriving today from the uk who is a brilliant gardener so will see what he has to say!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

There's some interesting reading about runner beans online isn't there? Lots of people say plant in full sunlight, some say partial shade is OK. Some say they like it hot, some that they prefer it cooler. Typical gardeners, we can never agree can we :).  I suppose it's a matter of extremes - 'partial' shade is probably OK, but deeper shade isn't. Some full sun for part of the day is probably welcome.  And they may prefer cooler conditions, but our night time temps have been a bit severe recently, until the latest hot spell, so possibly a bit too cool?  The next few days are forecast to be really steaming, so I suppose they may not be very happy beans for a bit longer, but after that hopefully they'll settle down and produce a crop for you.  Do you have anything you could shade them with while temps get extreme?  

Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 3 years ago

Unlike Marilyn Monroe, Runner Beans don't like it hot. Plant them in the coolest part of the garden you can find.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

Have a look at this page from the RHS and see if anything rings a bell - the 'problems' are towards the bottom of the page: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=381

If you want to buy runner bean seeds in France send me a private message and I can point you in the right direction.

Sorry no image available

Some really helpful advice Rudge.  Do you buy your beans from the uk?  Do you  put any additional mulch or the like in as well as grass cuttings?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Further to my previous commnents I have always found runner beans easy to grow, along with courgettes. Mine ( central Brittany) have never faiiled and normally a glut of beans to freeze as well. Despite some gardening books advise digging and preparing a trench I have never done that, during earlier Spring months I rotovate all my grass cuttinings iveg patch, start some beans indoors earlier and put some seed direct into the ground at a later date as well. 

They all grow, often the later ground sown ones catch up with the planted out ones. They do like sun, but will tolerate some shade, and i do water mine around the roots every few days in dry weather, the beans grow quicker then and avoids the stringy problem . Over the years have tried several varieties, enorma, white lady, polestar, all have grown but now i stick with red rum, they are meant to be more drought and heat resistant than some others

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Its a bit early yet here in normandie & the nights have been cold recently!

The corgettes will have to be pollinated for them to grow big, otherwise you just get the baby that drops off/rots. 

If you have a male flower go around and pollinate the ladies!!  - sometimes the plants just have males or  females to start with - depends on the temperature.

Sorry no image available

Have watered generously as suggested but wonder if I haven't done it soon enough as there's still no sign of beans forming.  Could it be they're not in direct sunlight which could contribute to the problem?  They do get full sun but not all day.  As | said this is our first year and my husband dug a fresh plot, put plenty of mulch in but probably still needs more.  We have fed the veg but I suspect it could well be the bit of land we've chosen.  The zuchinni are not doing so well either and I've never had probs with them before.  Growing fruit ok but then they just drop off.  Think we may well have to mulch and mulch and mulch before attempting anything next year or maybe just grow a batch of potatoes.  Lot to learn even after all these years.  The soil is certainly not sandy but have to say the roses are magnificent!  Thanks for all the tips

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 3 years ago

We are growing the Spanish flat beans, they are slightly different to runners. Got the seeds from Spain, online of course, once we tracked down the name. First time but they seem to be coming up. Prefer them to runners, which we have grown here. Have never seen the seeds for sale here.