DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Satellite internet & netflix?

Posted by LangeHaas - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LangeHaas - 4 years ago

Thanks very much for the replies.

What I read on some french forums is that SkyDSL gives you websurfing at 20mbs, but as soon as you start streaming video or downloading large files, the speed goes down, which is why they can offer unlimited plans...

As for downloading at night, that is what I currently do with my slow ADSL connection (800kbit/s!), because it becomes unusable otherwise. I am looking into satellite internet for faster browsing and to have access to netflix (I don't mind paying the 8euros/month for non-pirated movies and series...).

Posted by bartyb - 4 years ago

SESpro unlimited is definitely NOT unrestricted and connection speeds can reduce alarmingly from 8GBonwards, for almost all users it's better to be on an appropriate data limited deal

Sorry no image available
Posted by kesikun - 4 years ago

SES Pro "unlimited" works out at £70 per month ... but you have to be careful with the statement as I think they apply throttling in some peak times . 

I have streamed BBC iplayer on my SES a few times - on the "M" plan and schedule downloads outside peak times with their unlimited £7 deal 

Any domestic satellite broadband service that is available in France will use either SESbroadband from Astra or TooWay from Eutelsat. Headline speeds are 20mbs down/2mbs up for SES and 22/6 for TooWay.and they will both give real world speeds of 10+mbs down and around the claimed up link speed. All services are either limited by an absolute data volume or in the case of unlimited services by throttling the speed as usage increases.

With the exception of SKYdsl who appear to have negotiated their own deal with TooWay but the actual details of their product is frankly baffling, an unlimited data deal on a fast satellite link would normally cost several hundred pounds per month.

I wouldn't expect to see a problem with streaming video on either system, if there's an issue on SKYdsl connections then it would suggest that they are employing some level of bandwidth management as Would be expected

Any domestic satellite broadband service that is available in France will use either SESbroadband from Astra or TooWay from Eutelsat. Headline speeds are 20mbs down/2mbs up for SES and 22/6 for TooWay.and they will both give real world speeds of 10+mbs down and around the claimed up link speed. All services are either limited by an absolute data volume or in the case of unlimited services by throttling the speed as usage increases.

With the exception of SKYdsl who appear to have negotiated their own deal with TooWay but the actual details of their product is frankly baffling, an unlimited data deal on a fast satellite link would normally cost several hundred pounds per month.

I wouldn't expect to see a problem with streaming video on either system, if there's an issue on SKYdsl connections then it would suggest that they are employing some level of bandwidth management as Would be expected

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 4 years ago

Sorry, I don't know.

Various ISP's use 'traffic management' in other words, throttling hidden away in their small print.

There is a battle going on with some major ISP's in the US and NetFlix (http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-vs-netflix-whats-this-really-about/) and it wouldn't surprise me if the same was going on in the UK particulary with those ISP's that offer their own video streaming service.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LangeHaas - 4 years ago

Thanks for the repsonse, it didn't occur to me that netflix could have this information in their help center!

That's a lot of data... two hours a day on the lowest setting still generates 18GB a months so I would need at lease 25GB or more, which is quite expensive:

http://www.internetparsatellite.net/usr/www_internetparsatellite_net/documents/comparatif-par-volume.html

Do you know if you get close to the promised speed when you have data limit? (unlike with SkyDSL's unlimited plans apparently)

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 4 years ago

NetFlix uses between .3 and 3Gb per hour depending on your settings (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87) you can do the sums for your monthly data limit.

Calling BartyB for an answer as to whether Satellite can support that sort of streaming but if you can watch something on YouTube or BBC iPlayer I would have thought there was a fair chance Netflix would work.

Playing with a friends satellite internet here, it gave a location in the UK, if you are on the same system (Nordnet, I think), you won't have to mess with a VPN (for UK NetFlix)