DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sealing granite floor

Posted by GillT123 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

Hi Gill,

You want something like this

http://www.guardindustrie.com/fr/produits/76-Protectguard-mg-marbre-et-granit

Notice that  "Comme il est non filmogène, la surface traitée continue à respirer en laissant passer l’air la vapeur d’eau." Which, if you don't understand the French, says that it doesn't form a film on the surface, but lets the water vapour get through. Which to me, implies that letting water vapour pass through is a good thing!

If it were my floor, I would read up on granite flagstones before I used anything. It's going to be a lot of work whatever you do, and you don't want to have to do anything again.

janet

PS Phrases to google with: 'imperméabilisant granit' , 'mortier pour granit'

Sorry no image available
Posted by GillT123 - 3 years ago

Thanks Janet, I've spent some time trying to find out information about products online. There are many available but not ure which would be better. I agree about the gaps- we are planning to dig out around the stones and then re-grout using some sort of preparation to stop the damp coming through.

If anyone has had a similar problem and found a really good product then we would love to hear from you.

Gill

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

If the flagstones (you didn't say but I assume the 'granite' is in that form) are indeed granite, damp will not penetrate through the stone, as it's very dense, but might come through the gaps inbetween the stones.

Any dampness on the floor is more likely to be condensation caused by the temperature difference between the floor (cool) and the air (warmer).  The laying of floorboards would have added a layer of natural insulation (air) over the stone, reduced the temperature difference, and made the room more confortable.

You can always put a stone sealer on the floor, and many are available in France, but this will only prevent things dropped on the stone from staining the floor, and will not prevent condensation caused by temperature difference.

The long-term solution would be to lift the flagstones and relay them over insulation, but this is an expensive process.

You'll just have to decide whether you want to relay the stones or to put up with the damp floor!

janet