DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Seasoned Timber

Posted by emkay-983983 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by emkay-983983 - 4 years ago

That sounds more like it. ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by John Connor - 4 years ago

Depending on the exact purpose you had in mind for the wood you could perhaps enquire at your local coffin maker or boat builder/repairer.  I only suggest this as a friend of mine, sadly deceased now, used to obtain some sizeable offcuts from his local undertaker which enabled him to make some beautiful items of small furniture. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by bearfoot - 4 years ago

Try Scierie Leon at Lantic (22), very busy and very proffessional small yard but have supplied me with douglas fir for large roof trusses and both dry oak and chestnut in plank form for making doors and furniture etc. They have a website too.

Sorry no image available

Hi Charlotte

Indeed!

Sorry no image available
Posted by CharlotteM-441068 - 4 years ago

Iam a little confused by the notion that 'seasoned timber' is wood that hasn't been left out in the rain.  It may be desirable for your seasoned timber to have been kept in the dry - however, seasoned timber is usually timber that has been cut down 2 or 3 or more years ago, depending on the type of wood, and stored to season it.  Not necessarily out of the elements. Dry wood that has been recently cut is just as likely to distort as wet wood that has recently been cut.  By recently I mean within the last two years.

Sorry no image available

Thank you chaps, went to Espace Bois in Carhaix, despite their encouraging website absolutely nothing but bog standard pine and Douglas, stored outside and green, will give Soulaine a go but it seems that in a land of wood it's almost impossible to find seasoned timber in Brittany.

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 4 years ago

There is a woodyard called Soulaine in Questembert

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

I had some 50 x 150 sapin from Seglien about a year ago-some of it would have been suitable for making propellers for aircraft it was that warped!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Le Motard - 4 years ago

I have in the past done some good deals in the sawmill at Seglien. Not all their wood is kept dry - only some . . .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

There is another place in Plouray that is a sawmill:-

Etablissement et Service d'Aide par le Travail

(CAT)

Kerlann 56770

Plouray

02 97 34 80 61