DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Septic Tank/Fosse Septique

Posted by Older Punk - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

It could be that you have a septic tank just for the toilet waste - that needs emptying when full - and a soak away for the grey water!

When you had your  inspection a few years ago you should have got a report with diagrams showing what was there,  if you cant find that there may be a copy at the mairie.

The report for selling a house will say 1 year to upgrade if it doesnt conform - this is usually for the buyer to do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The inspection ,was it done by spanc or an independent company?,if you already have a grease trap then what else are you supposed too fit?,normally the one year period applies to the purchaser,the property owner normally gets four years,the other question is ,your earlier inspection was this done by spanc as part of the nationwide fosse inspection programme and did the fosse pass.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Older Punk - 3 years ago

Thanks for the advice so far. I've had the house for quite a few years, but somebody wants to buy it hence the inspection.

The pipework for the fosse runs from the back of the house under the tiled floor and the tank is in front of the house. It's concrete and there's a completely separate degreaser for the "grey" water.

All the tanks in our area were inspected a few years ago, but it was just a bloke coming round and asking a few questions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

Countrydweller, I was also told 10 metres by the inspector who approved our system.

The fact that the first run wasn't even 5 m meant the installer had conned us into believing we needed one and charged us for one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I believe that if your pipe run is more then 10 metres then you need a grease trap which stops grease and undissoled detergent powder blocking the pipe and causing problems in the fosse particularly if you have a  fosse totes eaux

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

A grease trap is not obligatory unless someone has now decided it is,the only form of pre treatment is the tank itself,a grease trap traps grease treats nothing, I take it you have just bought the house as normally you have four years to do any obligatory works,is this the first time the fosse has been inspected?.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

If your existing tank is just that - basically a tank into which everything flows then they are probably looking at just installing something like a grease trap/settlement   pre treatment  tank upstream of the main tank . In that case not a  very big job as long as you have the room. I am pretty sure the bigger brico type stores sell them in France. and there is a guide on one of the sites  which I can not place as I am on the hoof at the moment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Do you know what sort of fosse  you have?

I would have thought a  'dispositif de pre traitment reglementaire"  was a fosse touts eaux!!