DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Services and bank account

Posted by helicopterrob - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

Thank you,, Brian61, I hear what you are saying and I appreciate the advice, hopefully the final meter reading and inspection   is all arranged to be taken care of by third parties . Unfortunately I can not be there myself and with that in mind   I was just establishing if the  service providers insisted or required a French account which is not a problem  in the longer term but inconvenient in the short and I want to move in some  equipment the  day after completion to sort an immediate job so would prefer that the services are  up and running with no last minute hitches.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian61 - 3 years ago

Following on from "buster's" comments. On the day of final signature and before going to the Notaire it is advisable for you to meet the owner at the property for a final tour of inspection to make sure that they are leaving things as expected. At the same time you should together read all the meters & note the serial numbers (take photos if you wish), have them show you where stop cocks etc are, how the boiler etc works, how the sewerage etc works and where all underground pipes/cables to the property are located.

In advance you can ask the Notaire or their secretary to obtain from the seller photocopies of their last bills for water/elec etc as these will contain the meter serial numbers and a code for your house location (not the address). You can also ask that someone in the Notaires office will help you on the day in contacting the service providers by either phone or internet to change over the contracts.

Hope that this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

There shouldnt be any reason for the present owners to disconnect utilities , they just cancel their contracts - making sure to read any meters!

You can then contact the companys concerned at the appropriate time  to take out your own contracts, also reading the meters.

Sorry no image available

From memory yes you register your uk address where they will send the bills. You can organise sepa transfers in euro to their accounts to pay if you have not got a french account but frankly it is worthwhile getting one makes life easier for paying all the bills.

Thank you,, I will sort a french account but it is speed here rather than convenience at this stage  as it would be easier to take over an existing supply than have it disconnected and re-connected and the time frame  does not really work since it seems I have to supply six trillion pieces of countersigned pieces of paper before I can open a french account which itself is not a problem but does suggest the pricess is anything but swift.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

BaldEagle, in your case there would be a reason as to why they took another €50, wrongly or rightly. A visit to an Orange shop, or a call to them would at least give you the reason as to why they took the €50 (you haven't told us why, or did you just leave it at that?) after you say all bills were paid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BaldEagle-974213 - 3 years ago

Spot on Anonymous. €50 to Orange after cancelling their services and having paid ALL outstanding monies!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

And it makes it much easier for the utility companys to take money against your will in the event of a dispute!

Sorry no image available
Posted by a3 - 3 years ago

From memory yes you register your uk address where they will send the bills. You can organise sepa transfers in euro to their accounts to pay if you have not got a french account but frankly it is worthwhile getting one makes life easier for paying all the bills.

Sorry no image available

And I should have included that this is a second home.