DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Showers

Posted by leaboeg - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rance-384571 - 3 years ago

I have to admit I don't if the regs have changed but the shower unit had to be placed outside the cubicle and a  longer hose used to place the shower head inside. the cubicle.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Meldrew-391022 - 3 years ago

Webb, as another posting has said, not possible to give you a figure as it has too many variables.  First what temperature is your tank set at, how much water do you use, if not a lot the tanks stays full and requires little heat to maintain the set temperature, but if you are in the habit of having a long shower or bath before bed the tank will be full of cold water and take more energy to heat up.  Plus the cold water going into the tank in the first place is naturally colder in winter than in summer etc etc.  Why not, take a reading of your electric meter last thing at night and again first thing in the morning.  That will give you the number of units, then look at your electric bill to see how much you pay per unit and multiply by that figure.  That is how much you spend per day, then multiply by 7 for a week, say 30 for a month or 365 for a year!  At the end of the day does it matter? If you want hot water you have to pay for it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Meldrew-391022 - 3 years ago

Webb, as another posting has said, not possible to give you a figure as it has too many variables.  First what temperature is your tank set at, how much water do you use, if not a lot the tanks stays full and requires little heat to maintain the set temperature, but if you are in the habit of having a long shower or bath before bed the tank will be full of cold water and take more energy to heat up.  Plus the cold water going into the tank in the first place is naturally colder in winter than in summer etc etc.  Why not, take a reading of your electric meter last thing at night and again first thing in the morning.  That will give you the number of units, then look at your electric bill to see how much you pay per unit and multiply by that figure.  That is how much you spend per day, then multiply by 7 for a week, say 30 for a month or 365 for a year!  At the end of the day does it matter? If you want hot water you have to pay for it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

Googling 'chauffe-eau salle de bain' came up with this

http://www.amazon.fr/chauffage-électrique-instantané-douche-chaude/product-reviews/B00E7UWWM8/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

which is similar to a UK electric shower but appears to heat a small tank of water rather than heating the water as it runs through the shower.

You can also buy a small chauffe-eau for the bathroom, and If you search as I did you'll come up with lots of ideas.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pepe-803827 - 3 years ago

Webb - how long is a piece of string! It depends how much hot water you use as that will in the main determine how often the thermostat opens and closes. Each time it opens it costs you money.

Sorry no image available
Posted by webb-441827 - 3 years ago

Meldrew, would you be kind enough to tell me the approximate cost of running a 200 litre ballon on economy setting of course. Thank you. Or anyone, if they have the knowledge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

They are sold in France if you want one, have a look at Leroy Merlin. Personally I'd follow the suggestion of the other posters and stick to your chauffeur eau at mains pressure.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 3 years ago

>> Cannot tell you how many times I have seen unused, boxed electric showers  in garages of Brits in this area!!

Or people trying to sell them on AngloInfo!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

A very helpful and informative reply Meldrew, thank you.

Regards,

Laurie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by leaboeg - 3 years ago

Thanks for your help I want buy one then.