DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sit on Mower

Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - 4 years ago

Sabc15, I wish my grass did only grow 5 months a year, more like 8. If we work on twice a month on average thats 16 times a year, at perhaps 30 euros a go. We will stick with doing it ourselves,  afterall we need the exercise,  saves the cost of gym membership to work off all the calories we drink!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 4 years ago

Find someone local to cut your grass,on a regular basis,it will work out much cheaper in the long run,he/she will have the machine needed,and you keep your money in your pocket,no fuel to buy,no ongoing maintainence or depreciation or clearing away the cuttings,you can sit in the sun with a glass of wine and watch, (assuming the sun shines) also how many times a year will your grass need cutting,once a fortnight for 5 months.sabc15.

Sorry no image available

Husqvarna also owns McCulloch and Flymo. Electrolux owned Husqvarna for nearly 30 years before spinning it off to stand alone in 2006.MTD have a licence to build McCulloch, Massey Furguson, and own Ryobi amongst others. Tangled or what?

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 4 years ago

JohnP, when I was looking on the interweb for a spare part for my Mr Bricolage branded mower I found the same part was used on a Husqvarner machine, digging a bit further I found (apart from the bodywork which was a different colour), every part was the same between the 2 machines, which wasn't surprising as they were both made by Electrolux in the USA.

The real difference was the Husqvarner machine cost 50% more than than mine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 4 years ago

New mowers here appear to be exceptionally cheap at the moment, especially ride-ons. You do get what you pay for but this may be more than adequate for your needs and paying several thousand euros, just to keep your grass short, does seem excessive! I think the prices for secondhand are based on what the owners may have paid for them new a few years ago when they were much more expensive. Obviously 'professionals' need very robust machines and may (or may not!) recoup the cost involved. I've come to the conclusion, having had expensive equipment in the past, that I'll try a cheaper version and replace every couple of years if necessary as even the 'good stuff' goes wrong and costs a lot to repair...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

pipped at the post!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

You don't talk of area to be mown, but another factor is pure physical comfort after a couple of hours of driving over mole-hills!

Sorry no image available

Thanks for that input, the intention is for two of us to share, we both have established and reasonably flat 'lawns' so not looking for a 'beast'. We each have 1000 -1500 sq ft. It's just that every machine I have followed up is being sold at what I consider a premium regardless of its size. I consider buying somebody else's 7 - 10 year old machine is buying somebody else's  future problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 4 years ago

Basically you get what you pay for. You need to buy a machine which suits your needs. If you have a flat established lawn then you may be OK with a cheap machine but if you are tackling long grass or uneven ground then you will find it underpowered and struggling. Personally I would reccommend buying a good quality machine, either new if you can afford it or a decent second- hand machine which has been looked after and regularly serviced. On the cheap machines the cutting decks are prone to rust out because they are made of thin metal and are more prone to accidental damage for the same reason. If you buy second hand, check the cutting deck for corrosion, if they are not cleaned regularly a build up of wet grass will rot the deck and they are expensive to replace. From personal experience I can reccommend Husqvarner machines, they are not cheap but a good second-hand one will outlast your average cheap store branded machine and then some.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 4 years ago

Bob,

It comes with the 3115 single cylinder engine which is only 11.5hp 

Jack