DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sit on mowers

Posted by enthuisiasm - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Init - 3 years ago

"no easy remedy". through the winter drop the cutting deck, remove clean and sharpen the blades and Hammerite the deck. Works for me.

Init

Sorry no image available
Posted by blotto - 3 years ago

I must admit I came over here expecting to get a ride-on at the first opportunity.  Having researched the outlay costs, the ongoing cost of servicing and repairs and seen them in action, I changed my mind quite quickly.  I now have a self-propelled McCulloch that I'm thrashing to death with our one-acre-garden in our first year and might get something a bit more upmarket next year.   To be honest, I could just buy a new mower every year or two for the cost of maintaining a ride-on.......and yes, it's helping me keep fit as well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

You would need to step up a notch to something costing several thousand euros to get any kind of longevity.  The decks are just made from metal much too thin to resist the acids produced by the grass cuttings stuck to them.  It is very difficult to raise the whole machine high enough to clean off all the grass so most people just poke around under it with a stick and hope for the best.  No easy or cheap remedy I'm afraid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

Anonymous, even if you keep your mower inside a dry environment, are they still succeptable to rot? They are pricey and to lay out that kind of money, we expected it to outlast us. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

Takes alot longer with a ride on IMO.  Got rid and back to a walk behind, much better cut as well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Not good for your waist line tho!! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

They certainly are an absolute wonder.  I often wonder how in spite of the fact they contain more and more plastic the decks still rot out so quickly.  They seem to render the machine useless when the engine and transmission will go on for decades.