DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Smoke alarms.

Posted by grannydot-403561 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fruitrouge2 - 4 years ago

Grannydot...if you look at this link it doesn't actually say that they are illegal  only that they are forbidden, not allowed or prohibited or however you want to translate 'interdit'. You can take that to mean what you want.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F19950.xhtml

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 4 years ago

We've had our Breton home for 13 years and the house has had both smoke and CO alarms from day one. With the wooden fittings in our house it would be criminal not to have a smoke alarm. There is a smoke alarm in every room plus one above the stairs. All Walter Kidde from England with the relevant marks on them. Don't forget to check them regularly. Not just pressing the check button but with genuine smoke.

Dave

ps my so called Google posting was actually from my mate Bald Eagle's notes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 4 years ago

Joe.....  The original question... Mine,  was are smoke alarms bought in the UK legal here or not. As some friends have brought some over to put in their house, as shopping in their short visits has be at a minimum. Not because the smoke alarms are english. I threw the spanner in works because I was told the UK ones contained radio active material, which it does say so on the packets, and that was illegal here. Even tho the UK  are EU approved and used by the fire brigades in the UK.   NOT whether to buy or not to buy. 

I bet t.he French weren't  running out to but them before lunch On the 8th to be legal. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 4 years ago

For goodness sake !

Please stop debating - Just get to your local supermarket or Brico buy them and get them fitted!!!!!

Anyone who has ever experianced a house fire whilst occupants were asleep or seen the aftermath would not even think about posting on here they would be down the shop purchasing twice as many as needed...

Any type you buy in a supermarket or a brico will comply.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RobJ-443327 - 4 years ago

Dave--nice work Google

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 4 years ago

Americium-241, the substance used in smoke detectors, mainly emits alpha and gamma particles. The principal danger comes from the alpha particles, which are indeed toxic, but only within a range of a few centimeters. Moreover, the particles are readily blocked by almost any material. The tiny quantities of americium used in smoke detectors would become a hazard only if they became lodged in the body, where they would be able to irradiate tissue for an extended period of time. Experiments indicate that the chances of this happening as a result of fire, vandalism, or general carelessness are remote.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chink-401014 - 4 years ago

Just to clarify things, if you google Service-Public.fr you will get the excellent Govt site that covers all legal matters. Search for detecteur de fumee and you will find all you need to know providing of course that you can read French. The mention CE on a detector shows it is approved ,it doesn't have to be NF. Secondly ,and most importantly, although it is a legal requirement to install a smoke detector, an insurer cannot sanction you or cancel your contract because you didn't have one. THIS IS THE LAW.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

"The radiation is no problem because of the inverse square law"

The beta particle radition from a tritium source is harmless because it is unable to penetrate the outer layers of human skin, however the contamination resulting from destroying a tritium source capsule or enclosure is toxic, and I guess that is why the French authorities have not authorised this type of smoke detector because of the danger to pompiers during firefighting and recycling operatives if they are thrown away in the normal rubbish.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hillhead - 4 years ago

Loosen up LRV24, I think someone ws making a joke. Presumably the NF smoke alarms will also wait until lunch is over before going off....

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

I love posts that question the French way of doing things. Surely people find out about shop opening hours quite early on and plan their visits around these times. If different is wrong then perhaps living in a 'foreign' country is not really for you.