DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Solar powered battery charger

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Thank you all for this excellent advice.  Project abandoned.  It seemed a good idea at the time.

Sorry no image available

Thank you all for this excellent advice.  Project abandoned.  It seemed a good idea at the time.

Sorry no image available

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cannockwolf - 3 years ago

I'm guessing here but I dont think there will be any data sent through the USB socket in your car  and I suppose it is there to be used as a power socket to charge moblie phones etc?

If thats the case then then the powwr it could handle would be 5 volts and from memory 2 amps max, which is 10 watts, and probably only that sort of power what the actual socket is capable of carrying due to its construction. If you have 12.7 volts and 2.4 watts and therefore 0.19 amps I dont think you will be exceeding that power.

I've tried a couple of these low power Solar chargers on different vehicles over the English winters and generally they dont supply enough power to prevent the battery draining due to wireless /remote locking or more so any alarm set up, especially if the car battery is more than a few years old.

I would try connecting using the battery crocodile clips for a while to see if its viable for you before messing about with the USb sockets. It was never much of a problem for me, but to be honest I dont think its worth the effort using the "solar charger". 

If your battery goes flat during storage then it will need "restoring" using a desulphater type charger. A standard charger wont be up to the job unless you are very lucky.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sea shore - 3 years ago

Why not get a 12v cigarette lighter type connector that clips directly onto your car battery and connect the solar charger/regulator to that? I have a marine solar panel that came with a lead specifically for battery charging. It clips directly onto the battery.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know loads about satellity things and quite a lot about all sorts of unrelated arcania but not enough about car electrics to say if what you propose is safe or not.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

No- A typical USB network consists of a host that is often a PC and devices such as a smartphone or camera. Data streams in both directions but the power is unidirectional and always flows from the host to the device. The host cannot take power from an outside source.

Sorry no image available

Sorry, second sentence should start " Will it be safe ........"

Sorry no image available

Sorry, second sentence should start " Will it be safe ........"