DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Solar powered car battery chargers;

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Try the Optimate 2 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fazabelle56 - 3 years ago

Have just bought a CTEK charger from eBay that has the "float" function that Fitter mentions. It comes with crocodile clips and seperate connectors that you can leave permanently attached to your  battery terminals and just plug into when charging. £35 with a 5 year guarantee.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

If your car is negative earth, just clip the negative lead from the charger anywhere on a bolt head on the car body or engine block, it doesn't have to be on the negative battery terminal, the whole of the metal structure of the car is a negative terminal. 

Unless the car has a glass fibre body of course!

Be aware that the ciggy lighter plug on most cars is not "live" ie connected to the battery, unless the ignition key is in and turned to the  accessory position.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Thank you Fitter.  I have a suitable conventional charger but, believe it or not, my negative battery terminal is inaccessible, hence the preference for a solar powered, plug in socket charger.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Be careful when buying a solar charger because many come with just the solar panel and do not have a charge controller.  A charge controller turns a solar panel into a safe battery charger that won’t overcharge or damage your battery.

If you have mains power available better to buy a small charger with an automatic "float" function such as one of the CTEK series, but they are rather expensive.

Lidl have some very good little chargers occasionally, I have three of them running right now keeping car and motorcycle batteries maintained-really cheap, less than €20 each.