DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Someone coming to check gas meter poss scam

Posted by jamesmb - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesmb - 4 years ago

I think I've found the answer! Having looked about at various things, it looks like he was from a company called ENI. It seems they have form for interesting stories when trying to get hold of people's bills and then selling them gas (see linky below). Of course, you'd not get a recording of the discussion, so there's no scam...!

http://www.60millions-mag.com/forum/gaz-et-electricite/demarchage-a-domicile-eni-prix-du-gaz-bloque-3-ans-t4824.html 

Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 4 years ago

Consider getting yourself a CCTV system, if he turns up again don't say a word, just look up and stare at the camera, odds on he will look up as well to see what you are staring at (probably will have already clocked it) and then you've got a nice full face photo of him. He will immediately know what has happened and might make him think twice if he is bogus. You'll also have confirmation of his car reg and photo images of the vehicle too.

If he does turn up again and has no paperwork to show you, ask him to write down what company he is from and the telephone number (he should have said exactly what company he was from anyway, and all that info should be on the ID). BTW, Good idea to take camera photo of his ID card, was going to suggest that.

If you have a neighbour, would be interesting to see if he has been to them too.

Still let us know whether the letter ever turns up, if it doesn't you'll know it wasn't kosher.

Cheers for the heads up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinkatonk - 4 years ago

Hi

Well that is a disappointing response to your efforts.  They could have at least checked who was the registered owner of the vehicle even if they didn't tell you.  It wouldn't have taken them a minute.  

At least the occurance will remind people to recheck their security...just in case.

Sorry no image available

Quick lesson in French police structures for me this morning! Went to the Municipal police and they seemed quite sure it was a scam but, when I said where I lived, said that that was a different town so I should go and tell the Gendarmerie. Went to the Gendarmerie who said that there were lots of scams around the country, there was no way of knowing whether this was a scam and that there was no crime so they didn't want to take the details. Ho hum! I may mention it to the town hall just in case they've heard anything.

@heartstopper - no satellite dish, French car, no other outward signs that we were born in the UK!

@Tilia - no markings on the car. That did seem odd to me too!

@MockTheCasbah - I think he was alone - although I was too busy trying to focus on the numberplate to look inside the car. He had visited when my wife was in but she told him to go away and that I'd be back later.

@AnniePoppiePie - I think that'd be a bit difficult if he was outside from a privacy point of view but if he comes on to my terrain again, I'll snap a pic of his professional ID - sure he won't mind if he's genuine... I'll do that just before I ask him to leave!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AnniePoppiePie - 4 years ago

Perhaps you could take a photo of him from a window?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 4 years ago

Does sound odd. Casing the joint maybe.

Was he alone? How do you know he came to the house when you were out (curious)? 

You should have asked to retain a business card or better still see some other paperwork. Just seeing how he talked his way out of that would have been interesting.

Don't forget to keep us updated as to what the police say, whether the neighbours have had the same visitor, and whether the promised letter arrives!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tilia - 4 years ago

Scam. The fournisseurs or suppliers of utilities do not ask to see your bills. And always have a car with the company logo on it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by heartstopper - 4 years ago

sounds like 100% scam.    he was determined enough to come back which is disturbing..  your right in saying he would know your bills if he was in any way related via the gdf ........no,  lock everything down and if you see him again then take the registration of the car , id go and ask all other people in you commune if they had him. bet he is targetting english.........if you have a uk sat dish you stand out like a sore thumb!   i never realised until when out as usual searching for a house of uk people we were quoting for ........ got to the commune..... said .. now i which house is it  i wonder .........my husband pointed up the road and said 'that one '  how do you know that when we are 200kms from home and never been here ? said me..........easy....he says uk sat dish !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinkatonk - 4 years ago

Hi

Yes do go to the gendarmarie with the registration number.  He may be just what he says but he also may be looking round with an intention to do a burglary at a later date.  

Sorry no image available

Good call. I'll pop up and let les rozzers know tomorrow. I shall report back. :)