DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Soot & Smoke stained granite mantle

Posted by Poôte - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

That's nothing ,a chap I used to know did furniture stripping in a tank of caustic soda and fell in it,he stripped off naked in the yard and his wife hosed him down before taking him to hospital,his place was right next to a main road and there was an awfull amount of hooting as cars drove past ,would have gone down really well on youtube

Sorry no image available
Posted by kimbocafe - 3 years ago

I burnt lentils in one of my best stainless steel pans some years ago, and it was a black solid mess. Soaked it in caustic mix and it cleaned up as new.  I also advise safety glasses. When stripping pine boards once I splashed some in an eye. I ended up with some kind of Chinese water torture drip dripping into my eye at A and E. And if your rubber gloves are too flimsy it will get to your nails and turn them black!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Poôte - 3 years ago

Thank you both for your replies...

Sorry no image available
Posted by hillhead - 3 years ago

Do take great care with caustic soda. It is exothermic when added to water so be prepared for the water to get hot and even boil depending on how much you put in.

As stated you MUST wear goggles, if it gets in your eye it  will cause intense pain and can eat right through the eyeball. 

http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/sodium-hydroxide-10-50-liq.pdf

Sorry no image available

You can buy it in supermarkets its usually with the turps in diy aisle,its called the same thing in French but back to front acid hydrochloric crystal de soude,wear gloves goggles and cover all your skin and open the windows

Sorry no image available
Posted by Poôte - 3 years ago

and they are sold where & what as in France  SVP? as I have never found caustic soda here for blocked drains.

Sorry no image available

You can use caustic soda or hydrochloric acid ,caustic you can neutralise with vinigar and acid plenty of water.I have used both and both work