DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Steam cleaner recommendations

Posted by lollymatch - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

We bought this Karcher steam cleaner, it really it brilliant.

http://www.johnlewis.com/karcher-sc1-premium-with-floor-kit-steam-stick-steam-cleaner/p1815262?sku=234191747&kpid=234191747&s_kenid=415e5412-8af2-aa69-525d-000066fd1692&s_kwcid=402x21522&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=234191747

Sorry no image available
Posted by lollymatch - 3 years ago

Thank-you all again for your helpful comments. Karen, we like you, have a longere and the upstairs is all carpet so a heavy model wouldn't be a problem. I will look into the Polti.

Laura.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

My Polti is quite a big one but they do a large range of models - i think they may do a hand held one , but I have seen a nice little one for about 100 euros which has the attachments for floor and hand cleaning.

A word to the wise. Worth checking out the online sales. (think they start this week - tomorrow?)

In January, we needed a new pressure washer. Had seen the one we wanted in the bricos, for well over 200 euros. Went online at 9am first day of the sales and got the model we wanted from Cdiscount for under 100 euros.

Hope you find what you want.

Karen

Sorry no image available
Posted by floradora - 3 years ago

Thanks.  That's something you think about as I have three floors.  I already have trouble with the vacuum. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

I have a Polti steam cleaner. They are the original Italian manufacturers of steam cleaners. I've had mine for 10 years. It is one of the big ones with lots of attachments and is brilliant. The beauty of the Polti's is that you can buy spares for them, both the attachments and parts so if you do lose  or break something you should be ale to replace it. Having said that, in 10 years I've only had to buy a new screw-top which cost me about 30 euros.

The disadvantage with the big steam cleaners is that they are heavy if you want to take them up and downstairs. So I bought a lightweight floorsteamer just to use upstairs; after a couple of years use, the handle is about to break as it's not strong enough for the weight of the cleaning head!

The other thing with the large steamers is that they take longer to heat up as they take more water. However you also get longer use before you have to refill. We live in a longere and I can do all the floors downstairs, as well as some other cleaning before the steam runs out..

When mine finally gives up the ghost (no signs yet!) I will only buy another Polti.

Karen

Sorry no image available
Posted by floradora - 3 years ago

Actually so many types it's confusing.  My friend has had 3 she said they break easily.  Do the stand up floor cleaners do a good job anyone? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Yes but you can buy one machine which you pull apart and use for many different applications,I was pointing out that from my experience these are a bad idea.

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

sophie hunton... did you read the other replies because that is exactly what I said some 5 hours before yours.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

You are better off to buy a hand held to clean the cooker and a dedicated floor cleaner as parts get mislaid or broken ,whatever you buy it won't clean your tile grout so it looks like new regardless of what the blurb says.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lollymatch - 3 years ago

Thank-you all for the suggestions we will take a look at them all online.