DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Steam cleaners !

Posted by BennyB-936084 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Camellia - 3 years ago

I've had a steam cleaner for close on 20 years, before they became so fashionable. Mine is somewhat cumbersome but I wouldn't be without it. It is marvelous for tiles and grout, also for hanging curtains to refresh the. Cleaning a gas hob is a doddle, although I'm electric now. Go for it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

I too have a morphy richards( 9in1) great for floor tiles, as they are almost dry after using the cleaner and it is easy to fill and change the pads. Gives off steam almost immediately.    I have used it for cleaning carpets too and  hand held with the attachments in the bathroom and kitchen.  Not tried oven cleaning yet.  

It is so much better than the large tank one my sister in law gave me which had a small head/nozzle which you had to leave cool down before refilling and took ages before the steam arrived.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thecoopers-388293 - 3 years ago

I have a polti which is good but the only drawback with it is you have to wait a long time for it to cool down before you can refill it due to its safety valve,on hindsight I woulld look for one that you can fill up without having to wait a good 10mins for it to cool down

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

I have 3 different types. One I have to drag around like a dog on lead. Lol. Very powerful, large pad so cleans a decent size of surface at one go, but don't always want to get that one out! for just a daily floor mop.  A little hand one which I picked up in ti recup" because it was there" and cost 3 euro. Good and useful for cleaning tiles and around taps, and a steam floor mop. Again I like it for its job, light easy to use, and cleans well. The only thing I don't like about the one I have is it has a very short flex, have to change sockets to do both ends of the lounge, and that is plugging it in in the middle, no we do not have a ballroom size lounge.it is short. 

You may say you want it mainly for specific jobs but when you get one, you will do all sorts with it, so look for one with changeable ends. You will get every sort under the sun recommented on here we all have our favourite makes, they will not all suit you, weigh, easy to assemble, etc etc . Manoeuvrability.

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

bollydolly....& why not use on the OH??? there may be places that would benefit from a good quirt....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bollydolly-889742 - 3 years ago

Totally agree with Garethe, I have had my Polti steam cleaner + iron 15 years. 

It cleans everything brilliantly, also use it on the mattresses, rugs & curtains...in fact on 

absolutely everything...except other half! :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by garethe - 3 years ago

On the grout cleaning front, nothing is that brilliant a part from scraping andregrouting. Grout is pourous and very hard to clean back, I'd never go for light coloured grout again. For cleaning tiles though, steam is excellent. Won't smell as clean as flash etc but don't forget the steam temp has completely sterilised the surface, so it is clean?

Sorry no image available
Posted by garethe - 3 years ago

So we had a polti vaporetto 3000 for a number of years until the steam hose union broke. Until that point is was excellent. We have replaced it with a Karcher sc5, very good, but not quite as good. For me its all about the pressure of the steam and how dry the steam is. With the higher end models you can get iron attachments etc etc. Spend as much as you can imho as reservoir size, method of refilling ( is do you have to wait until it cools down to refill etc) and steam pressure are the more important elements. The iron attachments we had for the polti was excellent, made very light work of anything, plus the constant vertical steak it could generate made it very good for a quick ' dry clean" of suits etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nellyhei - 3 years ago

We bought a Vax a few years ago I fing it great for re-freshing rugs etc..  but for our home with slate floors it's down to a scrubbing brush!! would I buy one again no!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

I can recommend "Dirt Devil" German make from Amazon.fr floor steam cleaner together with a hand held model & both were bought together as a reduced package...house,windows, cars, bathroom, kitchen all squeeky clean. Cordless models dont have enough ooumpf!!! it is the electricity that heats the water to make the steam & moving to another socket usually coincides with a water fill up & therefore no problem whatsoever.