DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

submersible water pump.

Posted by sabc15-427548 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

we use a submersible pump to pump water out of the well  for watering the veg plot.  You just need to check the cabling regularly as the outer covering on the electric cable (after about 5 years I must say) - perished - it got a split in it - and we had a short out of the electrics in the house.  Removed the pump reset the electrics and renewed the fuse and were ready to go again when we bought a new pump.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

we have one in our water barrel, with a hose connected for watering the veg. You just have to make sure that it is always totally submerged when in use. When the barrel is getting empty...  Ha ha. no rain here,...funny. I just use a watering can.  Also on the instruction for ours it did say, take out of the water if the water gets totally frozen. ours spends winter in the shed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by genie-382498 - 3 years ago

you run the rist of burning the motor out if it isn't in the water............

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

The clue is in the name!  Submersible:- Designed to be completely submerged or to operate while submerged.

br />

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Quite a lot of people use electric kettles, etc. without issue.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. thanks for your replies,the pump is almost new and seems in good condition,just seems contary to every thing that I was taught putting an electrical appliance in a tank of water.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bcw66 - 3 years ago

Tumbleweed is correct and cannot be used out of the water i use two on my pond and are perfectly 

safe 

Sorry no image available
Posted by tumbleweed-892788 - 3 years ago

Yes it's how it should be used. They can often be recognised by having a plastic lump on a cable which contains the switch to start the pump when it is activated by floating. They're perfectly safe as long as in good condition, if your a bit worried and its second hand just check the cable visually for any damage prior to using it.

No, as far as I'm aware if its a submersible pump they can't easily be used out of water.