DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax credit and woodburner

Posted by seashal - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

Seashal, the tax credit helps, but if you buy a good quality woodburner, it will be efficient and should cost you a lot less in wood. As I said in another posting, our new woodburner burns pine and uses a lot less wood than our old inset (under 2 cords of pine last winter as opposed to nealy 5 cords of hardwood the last winter we used our old fire) and with the savings we have made in the price of wood and the tax credit, we reckon it will have paid for itself in about 5 years, plus we are a lot warmer!

A good supplier/installer will tell you what sort of credit you willl be able to claim based on current figures. If the burner doesn't qualify for a tax credit, it's probably not worth buying!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Maybe you're right tigre, maybe the current regs will apply for stoves bought this year, I didn't read it to be honest. I was thinking about a conversation I had with the tax office earlier this year when I was asking about tax credits for double glazing and that's what they told me. But it could be different for stoves.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian2bin - 3 years ago

Why not check out what the best tax credits are around at the moment then see how that will pan out in the long run. We got a woodburner it was an expensive one and a boiler for the central heating we got €600 refund. To my mind it was well worth it at least you can invest in a top range set up for the similar costs of a also ran stove. You will get a cheque for the rebate even if you pay no tax! Rest assured this is the time to get heating arranged as it can be very cold in the winter,we just had 10 steres of oak delivered yesterday in preperation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

seashal - you obviously have other choices of heating.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

The french government website have a section on credit d'impot for installation such as woodburners and windows etc, this should give you the specifications of these products that qualify,so when looking at woodburners, for example Godin it should state the specs for each model so you will know before you buy if it comes under the Flame Verte requirements. The way I read it you also get the percentage of credit refunded that was in force the year you had it installed even though it is claimed on next years tax return.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

If you're not committed to getting a woodburner I would hesitate to make the decision to get one purely on the basis of hoping get a tax credit. As said, you won't know until after you've bought it whether you will qualify for 30 per cent, or less, or nothing at all. The calculation that will be applied will be the one in force when you fill in your tax form next year, not the one in force when you make the purchase. The tax credit does seem to reduce year by year and the conditions get more stringent.

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashal - 3 years ago

Thanks Fitter.  I don't think it will be worthwhile installing a woodburner with only a 30% refund.  Thanks all for your replies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

When we had two wood burners installed 5 years ago the rule was they had to be a minimum % efficiency to qualify for the tax credit-we only found out that one of them didn't qualify after a certain company in Josselin had sold it to us. As I recall the figure was then 70%, but I don't see any mention of any figure in that linked website - so maybe the procedure has changed-worth asking before signing up I reckon.

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashal - 3 years ago

Thanks one4all and Kanak for your info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

just be certain the installer is registered with the Grenelle del'environnement, obligatory, I think.   I got back 30% of the stove,  but not the flue, and not the labour  (before TVA, so less than it looked), but the good news if you are better off than the average, there is no income taken into account.  I just  filled the appropriate box on my last tax return, and included photocopy of the paid bill.  Costs will depend on the work involved, and as there are a lot of entries into this business, get a couple of quotes from reliable companies (remember the solar panel scammers!).