DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Telephone and livebox

Posted by diamond5861 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by diamond5861 - 3 years ago

I had the Optimale illimite which cost me 48,06 a month and I now have the Zen package as previously recommended, so I still have unlimited calls to landlines in France and international, but am now only paying 33,99 instead of 48,06, so a saving of 14,07, (I now have a confirmation email, so know the cost exactly).  The main difference, apart from the cost is that my phone has to be connected directly to the Livebox, which I have just done and all is working.

All in all , well worth doing, although I still don't understand why we all have to have packages that suit the phone companies rather than our own personal circumstances - after all, we are supposed to be the customer!!!  Never mind - 14,00 a month saving is good enough.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by livingthepeace - 3 years ago

Diamind5861

Congratulations!

Was she able to switch off the 'phone' part of the line over the phone or does it need a techinician to come out and do something at the exchange?

In other words - do you have VOIP NOW or do you have to wait?

I think for basic internet €21+ Livebox €3 = €24 + phoneline €17.95 = €41.95pm

Out of interest what 'package' were you paying before?

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

Got to say it was enlightning to follow the saga!!!

Sorry no image available

Success, (in a way) - I have switched to Zen, which will save me 11,00 a month but she told me I have to plug my phone into the back of my live box - in itself, not a challenge, except I have no power point anywhere near, so now have a cable running across a doorway.  C'est la vie.  She did tell me that to have just line rental and livebox would not be financially viable, but wouldn't give me a price!!!

Many thanks to all who have helped me with this and apologies for the friction it has have caused.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by livingthepeace - 3 years ago

Happy to help!!!!

Diamond5861 - I think the one you want that Sunshinedays probably has is this

https://boutique.orange.fr/internet/offre-livebox-zen-adsl-vdsl

It is the cheapest option even if you don't want the phone (VOIP) or the TV options.

Be aware however, that whatever option you choose, you WILL have to have a 'line' which the broadband signal must come through, and the charge for that will be included in the price of the package.

Sunshinedays - Apologies for the misunderstanding but my interpretation of your comments was that you didn't realise a conventional phoneline and a broadband line were physically one and the same.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

Hi Diamond5861, 

On our contract it states  "offre livebox zen" for which we pay 33.90 euros and 3 euros for the "location livebox" so in all we pay 36.90 each month. 

From the livebox we have unlimited France and International calls

Give Orange a call again and ask them when does your contract end. You may get different information from someone else, as I have found.

Sorry no image available

Yes - but how!!!  Orange customer care say it is not possible, so where do I go?  Somebody please help :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Hoping not to add to the confusion.  At one time I had my phone from Orange, no choice there, but my broadband from another supplier whic included a phone package.  So I had to pay the broadband supplier and THE LANDLINE RENTAL to Orange.  The advantage to this was that I could still plug my phone into the wall and make CHARGED calls if my broadband went down or there was electrical supply failure.

Now I have the complete package with Orange which includes the "landline rental."  The disadvantage is that now if my broadband OR my electrical supply is down I have no "landline phone or Internet.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Incidentally Diamond 5861 the answer to your original post is "YES."

Sorry no image available

Sunshinedays please can you tell me who you are with and what type of contract I should ask for.  I spoke with Orange this morning - yes their English helpline is active - although the lady really didn't have a clue!!!

She told me that I cannot change my current package and keep the internet and she couldn't suggest any alternatives.  I am currently paying over 48.00 a month!!!  I have looked on Google and can't find anything useful or understandable, so I am hoping sunshinedays can point me in the right direction, or indeed anyone else who is just paying for line rental and internet, with no phone package.

Thanks to all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

Livingthepeace, I did already understand what you are saying. I am aware that there is only one line etc etc and so forth. The point I was making is that it is possible to cancel the main phone connection and by doing so you no longer pay the seperate payment that was around 17 euros per month paid every two months.

Therefore I was answering the question that the OP was asking in that yes you can have an internet contract without a landline therefore avoiding payment of the seperate charge.