DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Telephone number starting with 09

Posted by Gleaner - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

Just to clarify, the warning message is played by FT before it's connected to the called numbr, so can't be avoided by a scammer.

the call charges to 08 numbers are:

08: Special Numbers

These are premium-rate numbers used by companies. They are themselves divided by classified pricing

From a landline:

0800, 00800, 0804, 0805, 0809, 10 # #: toll free 0810, 0811, 0819, 0860: price of a local call ( 0820, 0821, 083,664, 089,064: 0.12 € TTC / min (7.20 € per hour,) 0825, 0826, 0884, 0890, 089 071: 0,15 € TTC/min 0870, 0871, 0873, 0874, 0875: pricing by operator (voice over Internet Protocol) 0836: 0,56 € TTC / min 0891: 0,30 € TTC / min 0892: 0,45 € TTC / min 0893: 0,75 € TTC / min 0897: 0,60 € TTC max 0898: 1,20 € TTC max 0899: 1,35 € TTC per call + 0.34 € per minute (20.4 € per hour)

Sorry no image available

If the call to a 08xx number doesn't have the warning, you report it, they loose the number and you get a refund of the call charge.

The maximun charge for an 08xx number is 80c/minute with a maximum connection charge of 1.35€, so you're not going to run up a massive bill. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

If the calls don't originate from France why would you expect them to conform to any regulations and if they originate in France and are out to scam you would you expect them to conform ,I think not.what I do now is never answer the phone I just check the number after it stops ringing and call back if I recognise it.if you check the 09 number listed in a previous post it doesn't exist.

Sorry no image available

Sorry, that was more aimed at the comment about calling a number then being transfered to a premium rate number or the one I was waiting for 'the £300 per minute number'

Although; since January 2010, as all telephone calls to a premium number must now contain a message giving information on the tariff.

This message must be given before the charges are incurred. A sound then indicates the end of the message and the start of the phone tariff.

If you do not wish to continue with the call and be charged, you simply put down the phone at this point.

Once past this point, then the charges are occurred.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

I don't understand the last posting.  Are you tellintg me that I am not receiving messages telling me to call a premium number.?  I can assure you that I am and they call me nearly every day.

Sorry no image available

Why, o’why do people keep perpetrating the xxxx about being transferred or calling back to Premium Rate numbers without checking ?

It doesn’t happen, it can’t happen and has never happened.

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

mikec....the scummers never find me on my fixed fone but many do on my Mobi especially from the Ile de Reunion!!!!.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikec-403539 - 3 years ago

This nuisance call problem is getting worse daily and its generally the same numbers constantly calling. We never answer the phone unless the caller ID comes up as someone we know or are expecting a call from. It people want you then they will leave a message. As I understand it you cannot block calls if you have an internet based Orange number. France Telecom can block numbers if youy have separate account with them. Seriously thinking of switching phone off altogether and reverting to mobile!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

We are being inundated with calls from 0975121296.  If you answer it, it tells you to call an 089 number which must be a premium rate call.  We get it atleast once a day.  Luckily my telephone indicates the number of the caller, so I always ignore them.  Scamming is just going to get worse and worse.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Don't ring back that's the idea of it.09 numbers are Internet based numbers and the first few digits after the 09 relate to the region,if you do a check on the number you will find the numbers do not relate to a region.the idea is you ring them to find out why they keep ringing you and you are then transferred to a premium rate line which you don't know about until you get your bill.there are an awfull amount of scams doing the rounds involving both fixed lines mobile lines and email.the moral is if you don't recognise the number or mail ignore it or delete it.