DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

The 'I need to move millions of $ out of the country' type spam emails!

Posted by firestarter-435430 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

To this end, there are many web-based free email providers out there you can sign up with.  Inbox.com is one of dozens.  Just choose your own email address and have some fun.

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandyranger - 3 years ago

Just be aware though as soon as you reply they have a live email address to further send out scam mail. They rely on sending thousands often to dead emails in the hope someone will reply. This is why they tell you not to use your own email.

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

Well hopefully he got the to jump off cliff!  Best place for them...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Older Punk - 3 years ago

It's been a big industry in certain African countries- they have a word for it which translates as "stupid white man". Basically they are relying on the very small percentage of people who are both greedy and stupid enough to fall for it.

A top banker in Brazil got taken in by a similar scam a few years back and lost billions.

There is a team of self-appointed vigilanties in the UK who have some success in luring these people to the UK, and for some reason getting them to meet up on a cliff top in Cornwall for a showdown.

Sorry no image available

" As this is where they arrive (in my inbox), if I replied from a new email address surely they would twig - or aren't they that bright?"

No, they're not.  And since they are running dozens, maybe hundred at the same time they don't keep track of where they came from.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fazabelle56 - 3 years ago

if you want a laugh google ebola monkey man. This guy toys with them for months, some of it is hilarious.

Sorry no image available

had a look at the scambaiters site but it says not to use a personal email.  As this is where they arrive (in my inbox), if I replied from a new email address surely they would twig - or aren't they that bright?

Sorry no image available
Posted by hillhead - 3 years ago

I found an article about these scams a while ago which was of the opinion that they are carefully targetted at the people who don't immediately see it as a scam. The grammatical errors are carefully added because if you can spot them you are too smart to get taken in by the scam. They are looking for the really gullible as they have more chance with them!

Sorry no image available

There are some real belly laughs on the scambaiters site.  I found it years ago.

Sorry no image available

Might just do that with the next one!