DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Thinking of going projection, any thoughts?

Posted by Bod - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bod - 3 years ago

buttermaker, thanks for the comment about the bulbs, I'm actually trying to find one that has LED as they run for 20,000 - 50,000 hours depeding on the model, although all the ones that I've seen with great reviews (or enough reviews to see a a pattern at least), seem to the the older style, maybe the others are too new still to have enough reviews yet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

I used projection systems for years at work and much prefer watching TV and films on a TV set. Check that the model that you use has 'affordable' replacement bulbs as we had to change ours at least once a year but I'm sure that technology is improving all of the time.

Sorry no image available

Thanks. Regarding light we live semi under-ground, windows one side but the light bearly comes in and comes from round a corner and its 2nd hand light, it's not possible to sit in the lounge without the light on even in bright sunlight. It's always a darkened room. And if that was too much add acurtain or blind and it'll be dark dark dark! Somight as well use it to our advantage.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 3 years ago

We have a projector and TV. One thing to think about is how you use a TV. With a projector you need the ability to reduce the light in the room for serious veiwing . Not a problem in the winter, but in summer if you don't have that till late. As I said it depends on what your watching habits are. You both want to have to watch it or have another room!!

We do have a projector for sale and if you would like some advice on the subject PM me and I'll get my husband to answer you questions or give you the benefit of his experience. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

I have a projection TV and have used them quite recently in an organisation environment where money seemed to be no object with projectors costing many thousands of Pounds.  The main reason for using them is portability and in the days of CRT this was a not insignificant factor and to only a slightly lesser extend flat screen TVs take a lot of transporting.  In a home environment you can get a huge picture at reasonable cost.

Although projectors have improved immensely it is still that case that even if you pay thousands the picture will never be as good as an HD or 4K TV. of an equivalent size.  Also you need a darkened room and the quality of the picture is dictated by what is put into the device.  Don't think you are going to get anything like the quality you experience in the cinemas.

If you don't require the portability then I would stick with HDTV or 4KTV.  Panasonic currently do an 85" at around £11000 and you could easily pay double that for a projector to produce an acceptable and comparable quality.  Just remember for huge screens such as the Panasonic 85" and Samsung's 110" you do need a huge room.

Sorry no image available

Its probably obvious, but I never said, it's would be a front projection system.