DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

TNT Transmitter Question

Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

If TNTtest is showing 2/5 and you used to get a signal and there's been no MASSIVE change in the direction in which your aerial points then someting is wrong with the installation.

Is your aerial a traditional one or one of the "lunch box" type if the latter have you installed it for the correct orientation, normally horizontal..(The details of the orientation required show on TNTtest)

Have you folded back the braiding on the co-ax cable or trimmed it all off and / or double checked that there's no short between the braid and the centre core.

I'd be veru suprised for your signal to go from good to nothing, normally if it's a signal problem the signal deteriorates.

On to satellite options: Boxes for Astra1 are branded TNTsat, boxes for Atlantic bird 3 are branded Fransat, they both require specific boxes NOT just a generic decoder with a card slot, You're very unlikely to find a decoder for Hotbird, if you do it will be Fransat.

The only FreeSat box that can be used is a humax recorder using the correct card and adaptor (do not try this it doesn't work well).

A Sky Z1 dish will work fine for any of the satellites as far as size goes (so any 50cm dish should be fine) but for AtlanticBird you need to modifiy the bracket to get sufficient elevation

with a generic box you'll get FR2, 3, 5, Arte and LCP

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Sorry don't know how I posted it twice.

Sorry no image available

There are hardly any free sat french channels but loads of German ones,you need a TNT card for the french freesat,if your signal was OK and has now gone it might be trees somewhere in the line of site,your spare skybox will be no good for the french sat stuff you would need a freesat box with card slot.if you look on lyngsat site you will find all the info on which French channels are on which satellites either astra at 19.6 or eutelsat hot bird at 13 or the other option is get an aerial tech in to set your aerial up.

Sorry no image available

There are hardly any free sat french channels but loads of German ones,you need a TNT card for the french freesat,if your signal was OK and has now gone it might be trees somewhere in the line of site,your spare skybox will be no good for the french sat stuff you would need a freesat box with card slot.if you look on lyngsat site you will find all the info on which French channels are on which satellites either astra at 19.6 or eutelsat hot bird at 13 or the other option is get an aerial tech in to set your aerial up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 3 years ago

Barty, thanks for the info, the website you suggest is the one we use, it says 2/5 (we now seem to have only one option of direction to point to since I last tried).

Both of the aerials (the one we had, and the one we replaced it with) have a power supply which needs to be, and was, plugged in.

The aerial height is the equivelent of being on the eves of a bungalow, could that be the reason we have lost reception? Was working fine for years, both on the old tv and the new tv, then - nothing.

Anything else we could try? A booster?

If push comes to shove, we have a spare decoder (skybox) and dish, we could put that up (would rather not do that though as the tv TNT is integrated and the decoder is yet another bulky thing we'd rather not have on the shelf).

Just for info, what is the best satellite to point to for the most free French channels (if we need to go down that route)?

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

The line of sight isn't critical for terestrial TV "the right direction" is near enough. If www.TNTtest.org gives you better than 2/5 then you shouldn't have a problem.

Does the cable go direct from the aerial to the TV/TNTbox? is there a box on the aerial pole?, if there is there's a good chance that this will need a power supply, either what most people mistake for an indoor amplifier ro from the TV/TNT box. 

SO, the next thing that I would do would be to revert to using the TNTbox and turn on the antenna power in the settings and see if that makes a difference. (some TVs have this facility but most don't.)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply rosie but we don't have the same setup as you. We are terrestrial and integrated, no card required.

Sorry no image available
Posted by floweryrosie - 3 years ago

As you can see from my earlier post, I am having problem too. One of the things I read is that you need to renew your TNT card every 4 years.  If everything else works, it must be your card needing renewal.  I understand that you can renew it online and it will take 7 days to arrive.  Hope this helps.