DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tools and progress

Posted by GoneandDunit - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

Having knocked the hole with the Rawlplug you then took some of the asbestos looking filling stuff, moistened it and stuffed it into the hole you have just made. The screw was then driven home. All good stuff (except for the asbestos filler!). None of these modern packets of different size plastic plugs that are never the right size for the hole!!

Only problem was in trying to remove the screw at a later point. Almost impossible because the screw had rusted in the damp filler material!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob Bowen-382240 - 3 years ago

I still have my Dad's old rawplug chisel. I have even used it occasionally.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian2bin - 3 years ago

I remember all those things when we got jobs done at a fair price and trades rarely tried to rip off a customer I think it was called the good old days its a shame we "progressed" those were better days , and we just knew the drilling tool as a rawlplug tool you could buy various bits for it to suit the plug size many an apprentice had a hand like a pound of mince after a few days chiselling away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

If its icy or snowing you will need the wife to do a risk assessment before you venture out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Absolutely right. I've lost count of the number of times later in the day when things have gone wrong and I've said to myself  "should have stayed in bed today". Never mind - with winter approaching, I won't feel quite so guilty about postponing some jobs and spending a little more time in bed - at least it's safe there. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Then there was health and safety, and when we got older we all realised how stupid we all were,now you have to be over eighteen too buy nails for your nail gun and have the wife do a risk assessment before its deemed safe too get put of bed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Yes I remember it well,I think the chisel was called a star chisel,if you were making a hole for 1/2 in pipe when you can get your head through the hole it was big enough.lots of roof fire due to blow lamps,I remember the petrol blow lamp if you  knock one of those over you needed to run,then there was the paraffin lamp which was pre heated with mentholated spirit in the little well.sabc15.