DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Turkey or Capon?

Posted by RHS35 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnlee - 3 years ago

Same as Janouk.  We bought ours in Lidl and exactly the same recipe.  Delicious results the taste was chicken as I remembered in my childhood.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Forgot to mention that I turned the oven down to between 180 -190/ gas  4-5 after the half hour, when I turned it right side up - rather important that!

Sorry no image available
Posted by RHS35 - 3 years ago

Well we stuck to tradition and had a turkey in the end. But bought a capon today ready for a festive gathering chez moi 2nd Jan and am going to stuff it with pistachios once ive completely de-boned it .

Sorry no image available

Had our  capon from Lidl yesterday (well the 1st meal from it!) absolutely delicious, meaty, juicy and succulent with a really good flavour., much nicer than turkey or chicken we thought. Rinsed it inside and out, dried it, salt and peppered it inside and out, oiled it well, especially the legs and cooked it breastside down on 200/No6  for half an hour, turned it over, basted it and cooked for 20 minutes per lb more, basting a couple of times more and covering the breast with foil for all but the last half hour. It was eally tasty!

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

We had a 3.2 Kg Chapon today, purchased from Leclerc where it was on promotion earlier this week, 5€90 a kilo so around 20€ plus 5€ back on our card. It was delicious and better then the one that cost twice as much last year with similar credentials re quality, length of life and feed regime. Result!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

Fitter, your capon may have been one for cooking in a pot rather than roasting. We bought one this week and noticed there were two kinds (not sure why though) and the roasting ones are more expensive. When we paid though at SuperU we got half the price knocked off. We cooked it yesterday and had a taste and it has a lovely flavour.

We bought a boiling chicken once not realising and roasted it. We had to throw it away as it was stringly and tasteless. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Capon and Pintade are far superior to turkey,imo, but ordered a duck, farcie avec foie gras, from the local butcher this year. Looking forward to treating it with due respect!

Sorry no image available

RHS35 - we have the same Boxing Day lunch as you - and we're having a Capon this year, got a beauty in Lidl's and definitely plenty of meat on the lovely chunky legs! We don't usually have a dry turkey but just fancied a change this year and have enjoyed Capons in the past.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RHS35 - 3 years ago

Thanks Karen yes ive dont the mulin thing its a great ide and yes keep the turkey beautifully moist. 

I guess its the flavour im thinking of regarding the Capon although of course its important the tenderness too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

We also tried a capon one year - never again, it was dry and chewy and hardly any meat on the legs.

Turkey isn't dry if you cook it properly. My method is one I found in a magazine years ago. Melt about 500gms of butter in the bottom of the roasting tin, soak a large piece of muslin in it and then wrap the turkey with the muslin for the whole of the cooking time. You don't need to baste it at all and a large turkey only takes about 5 hours. Have never had a problem with a dry turkey since doing it this way (and you get lovely turkey dripping, too)

Happy Christmas everyone and bon appetit!