DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK double gazed windows

Posted by pablopicasso - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bcw66 - 3 years ago

Sash windows are good

Sorry no image available
Posted by notagain! - 3 years ago

Whatever you do don't get Windows 8; it's a nightmare!

Sorry no image available
Posted by LifesGood-433663 - 3 years ago

Has anyone mentioned the added advantage of not needing a ladder to clean them on the outside? especially if you have Windows higher than the ground floor, it's easy as anything with inward opening to give them a clean ,hence not many window cleaners doing the rounds in residential estates in mainland Europe!

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Most mainland European countries use opening inwards windows, why we in the UK chose to change to opening out I have no idea, both systems have their merits, originally all windows in the UK were the European type as was methods of house construction,  but as we moved towards mainly brick construction I suppose someone also came up with the bright idea of a different style of window, I've also never seen any sash windows anywhere in Europe, perhaps it's all to do with the awfull British weather.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

Gg42, I have opening inwards windows that also tilt. They do not leak and are completely draft proof. I have windowsills and curtains. It's not a case of one group getting it right both types work fine. In France the norm is for opening in windows as they facilitate opening and closing the shutters; it also makes them much easier to clean. I lived for years in Germany and they used the same system.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LifesGood-433663 - 3 years ago

I equate buying Windows that open outwards to use here like registering a right hand drive car, it may be legal and cheaper but try selling on to a French person at a later date.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I see Dave Evans also appreciates the french window experience, opening in makes closing your oldy worldly shutters a lot easier, but a nice big crowbar soon sorts them out, but overall they are prone to problems, opening out is more convenient for hanging curtains and also for window sills covered in knick knacks , and also easier to draught proof and water seal, it would be much better if French windows had a centre transom which would make them easier to seal, its a bit like LHD and RHD, why did we go the right way and everyone else  didn't, perhaps it's the same with windows, we got it right and everyone else didn't, although I must admit that a friend of mine does have some very very good aluminium windows that don't leak, are not draughty, open inwards, have nice thermal electronic shutters and cost nearly as much as my house.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 3 years ago

Hi Dave,

I've got windows from La payre that are over 15 years old.No leaks or drafts so far.I really love the inward opening system. I also love my new Anglian Window fittings in my house in Cornwall.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emu-408495 - 3 years ago

No need to be so rude, people are just trying to give you good advice based on experience.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Dear pablo please stop shouting! YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

Anyway, our double glazed inward opening windows are not a patch on the UK outward opening ones. They are prone to leaks in high wind,wet weather. After a few years when the seals relax they are draughty. Not a guess or an opinion, a fact.

Dave