DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK Mobile sim card advice please

Posted by No longer Online - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

....also Which best telecom service provider for 2 years running.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

All the youngsters I know use GiffGaff. It is a network run on the O2 network and is very cost sensitive.

I have used it for three years now, and excellent value for money.

GiffGaff calls to other GiffGaff users are free - that is why the youngsters use it!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JimH-405027 - 3 years ago

We use Toggle mobile. Cheap calls and a French number when in France. I think 3p minute to phone UK from France and 3p minute UK to French landline. Online top up, no expiry. They have a website for full details.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

The problem you are going to have with a UK SIM card being used outside of the UK is that, the nearer we get to the end of 2017 when roaming charges will be dropped under EU Law, more and more of the UK Mobile Phone companies will be introducing fair use policies or connection or data restrictions.  It really is no good choosing THREE as they already limit the amount of roaming use.   They do not have a contract plan on either PAYG or Contract that will allow 365 day roaming.  I'm with GIFF GAFF and at the moment they do not have a fair use policy but will they when they can no longer make a big fat profit out of roaming and think the answer is NO.

I guess there will be some companies which will allow 365 day roaming but at what price?

It seems the EU law which appeared to be so helpful will only benefit occasional use.

Or will competition break down such restrictions?

Sorry no image available
Posted by harleyal - 3 years ago

I have Tesco card that moved out with me and has been very reliable and cheap to run. I bought a LePoste payg card to have a French mobile number for when we have problems with our Orange landline. This is very poor reception and does not seem to cover the whole of France. My vote goes to Tesco.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

i use an orange PAYG for here, and for when on Uk visits, mainly texts use and £10 lasts me 6 or 7 months. generally good coverage as well 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Any, as long as it has good coverage wherever you go in the UK. They're much of a muchness.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

Three

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 3 years ago

I have been with Virgin for many years now.  I live permanently in France so use it predominantly when I am in the UK with no landline.  £20 lasts me for ages.

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 3 years ago

Have a look at 3 PAYG Sim only deal

Cheap prices, no roaming charges in many countries, credit lasts for 180 days if not used. so make a call every 179 days for 3p.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans