DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

underlay

Posted by jennifer bates - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Hello Jon - a good job you decided to do it yourself. This bears out what others have told me - and you will have a far better finish than the alternatives.

I suppose the fitting methods offered are to be expected, given the rare usage of fitted carpets in France. Knowing this to be the case, we decided to give carpets a miss and lay wood flooring with rugs here and there.

I think it is useful, though, to bring such carpet fitting methods to people's attention, as well as the success you have achieved by having done it yourself, which hopefully will inspire others to have a go as well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kerroux - 3 years ago

Hello AQ,

I did ask them for a price which was so crazy and they wanted to use glue which I didn't want  so  I fitted it myself using UK gripper rod and a knee kicker.I'm not a pro but I am more that happy with my efforts..Besides the underlay I do have about 20 lenghts of gripper left over and a good sized piece of carpet for sale.

Regards,

Jon.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Out of interest, Jon, did you get Saint Maclou to fit the carpet ? If not, who did you use ?

The reason for asking is that I have heard some horror stories about carpet fitting in France. Rather than using a stretcher and grippers (for a woven or canvass back carpet), there are many cases where they have glued the carpet to the floor, or stapled it - even ordinary nails in one case.

I believe many people buy the grippers and stretcher in the UK and take them over to do the job themselves.

Sorry no image available

Yep.That is 142.49e plus 20% tax.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Wow!  You had to pay €15.60 a metre for underlay?  Now I know why the French favour tiles or clickfloor instead of carpet.

Sorry no image available

Hi Jennifer, I have just fitted new carpets and underlay which I got from Saint Maclou.They have branches at Lannion and Saint Brieuc. It is quite expensive.How much do you need as I have a complete roll of 9mm thick   x   1.37m  wide  and 8mts long which equates to 10.96squ mts.Cost me 171.00e per roll but will sell for 130.00e.Pm me if your interested.

Your more than welcome to come and have a look at it in place.

Regards,

Jon.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

Try Castorama and Leroy Merlin - ask for "sous couche pour moquette" - it's on their websites.